ATX Community

Unpaid bills

ILLMAS

Well, I think its against the law or some credit-reporting something-or-another rule to tell the truth nowadays, isn't it?

Nevertheless, if I was still mad, I might try to find some subtle, non-litigable way to pass on my impression.  Not "That no-good S.O.B still owes me $250 from 2013," but maybe "He's okay, but I'd count my silverware."

• Like 2

I had just this situation; I fired an unresponsive client and got written authorization to give "any and all" information requested to the new firm.  Told them basically that he needs to be handled with a stick, not a carrot.  Work on retainer only, give him hard deadlines with heavy consequences for missing them, etc.  Said my error with the guy was to be too nice; let deadlines slip and accommodate him - turned into chronically horrifically late (including late paying me by months and months).  Said he'd be a good client IF they gave him the real hard-nosed, unyielding treatment up front, and applied penalties as needed.  Plus lots of other useful tidbits I wished *I* had been warned about a decade ago.  The accountant I spoke with (who was going to handle the client) was really grateful and thanked me repeatedly.  

Side note - I said nothing bad about the client; these were all presented as techniques for successful handling.  And not until after we'd had the discussion about his years of late filing penalties for 1099's and tax returns.  And a chat about the tax lien on his house that was the final straw to get him to bring me the two years' worth of IRS letters - all for a matter that I could have fixed in an hour had he brought the first letter over on receipt.

• Like 3

Personally, if the situation were reversed and I were about to receive a pain-in-the-ass client, I would appreciate knowing the history up front.  I work in a different field, of course, but dealing with people is dealing with people.  And I prefer not to deal with the ones who don't value my time.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Personally, if the situation were reversed and I were about to receive a pain-in-the-ass client, I would appreciate knowing the history up front.  I work in a different field, of course, but dealing with people is dealing with people.  And I prefer not to deal with the ones who don't value my time.

I agree, when I take on a new client, I always ask if the prior accountant has been paid before I start requesting information from them.

• Like 1