ATX Community

ATX

Christian

The usual offer from ATX quoting the best price of the year. This year they apparently are not sending a CD. This year's increase is even greater than ones in prior years amounting to right at 10% for the package I use. Next year I am planning an across the board increase for almost all clients. I look into other software options from time to time but never find one better price wise than ATX. I have never packed my returns with stuff (calculations and all that stuff) but next year will begin doing so as apparently many clients feel it really means they are getting their monies worth even though they have no clue what all that stuff means. Despite my concerns about diy returns the business was fairly stable this year and I had all I should really take on as I about wore myself out. I sincerely appreciate all the responses to my posts during the season as so many help clarify these occasional thorny problems. :)

• Like 4

I can not remember a year that I have not increased fees. When the cost of living does not go up and my employees don't accept their raises and when the health insurance premiums don't go up, etc., well maybe that year I may not raise my fees. OK, not really.  I would not want to startle my clients that way. They have come to expect my increases for all of the reasons stated.

i too appreciate everyone on this forum!

• Like 2

I increase rates to accomplish 2/3 of the increases I have to incur.  i.e. if my costs increase 6%, my rates go up 4%.  I have had only one year in recent memory where I didn't have to increase prices.

Most of the increase in costs come from sources within the industry.  Providers of seminars, IRS fees, postage, publications, etc.  I am lucky with software as Drake has increased prices only one time in 20-something years, and it was only $100.

Another thing which doesn't register as a price increase is the amount of time I have to spend in the off-season maintaining files, records, etc.  Example, I project all known depreciation for the succeeding year in the off-season.  And I do charge for depreciation schedules, but not until the next year.

Much of the competition does not raise prices.  Most preparers do, but TurboTax never seems to go up, and there is now a number of "free" do-it-yourself options.  The public doesn't know it, but "free" is worth what you pay for it.

• Like 2

Yep, Drake hasn't had a price increase in a long, long while.  And the program, although excellent as it is, continues to get better and better.  But as far as prince increases are concerned, I keep raising my fees each year. One purpose of being in business is not only to earn salary/wages, but also to make a PROFIT. 

• Like 5

I haven't raised rates for most of my clients until this year. At that it was only 5%. I typically give a new client a discount and then raise their rates to my norm over a few years. Also give discounts ($25) for each new client one of my clients refer. I have been known to give away a free return or two if the clients refer clients for a few straight years. I am a really small shop (~110 clients) that does taxes on the side. Nothing else to do during MN winter but ice fish and that has gotten to be too much work. My business is ultimately my retirement job once I stop working for the man (Accounting manager in Insurance currently). If my clients don't like the cost of living wage I encourage them to reach out elsewhere for cheaper rates and better service. They typically are back within a year or two with an amendment that needs to be filed (if they attempted it on their own). 

Been with ATX since the beginning. Thinking about trying out Drake and have already downloaded the 2016 program. Would save me about $550.