ATX Community

NT - Router Question

JohnH

I'm moving and have decided to replace my internet router at the new location.  Any suggestions on what type, brand, specs I should look for.  I don't need anything fancy, and the new home is all on one level, although I would like to get a signal in my back yard (about 20 ft or so).  We don't do a lot of fancy internet stuff other than connect a couple of iPads, a desktop, and our iPhones.

I'm thinking of just running into Best Buy or Office Max and pick up whatever is on special.  But thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

My experience is that the less expensive routers work ok if you are in the same room, but once you have more than one wall between you and your router

performance starts going downhill. The other big issue is how many devices will be accessing the router at the same time. With less expensive routers,

1 or 2 devices should be fine. Once you get to three devices, things start to go downhill. Both P C mag and PC World have good reviews and rate 

their top ten routers every year.

• Like 2

I use a NETGEAR - Nighthawk DST AC1900 Dual-Band Wi-Fi Router with DST Adapter in my home office. It's on sale for 70 off at Best Buy. My favorite feature is "access control". If you set it to on, you have to approve any device that tries to connect, even if they have the password. There is also an app where you can control alot of the features, approve connections, reset the router, etc. 

Coverage is very good. It is located on my main level and I get excellent signals upstairs, basement, outside. It also has a built in guest network, which I use for household connections and the main connection for business.

• Like 1

You may want to consider a cable modem router combination which will save you the monthly rental fee from your ISP.

If you search on Amazon or Best Buy, you will find top rated ones form Motorola, Net Gear, T P Link etc, which can replace

your rental modem from one of the big cable companies. If your ISP is a phone company, you're probably stuck with their modem.

I upgraded to fi-optics a couple of years ago and continued to use my Cisco Valet router with a laptop at home.  Do I really need this router hook-up since Cinti. Bell provides a router, modem & set-top box configuration?  Pardon My Ignorance (PMI).

If you spend about $120 (give or take) on a new router, chances are it'll be good quality, and do what you need.  This isn't scientific, but if you head to amazon and search for router, generally you'll have pretty good luck with whatever model tons of people are buying.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-AC1750-Smart-Router/dp/B00R2AZLD2

EDIT: As far as getting better signal outside, simultaneous dual band routers support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands.  5GHz will get you better speed/bwndwidth, and 2.4GHz is slower and more prone to trouble with interference, but is better at penetrating walls... You can have two active networks (one for each frequency) so if you're outside and 5GHz isn't cutting it, you can switch to 2.4 easily.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our home network has to have a device's MAC address before it will even admit that it (the network) exists.  And then you still need a password - although all the main machines are hard-wire.  Wireless is for visiting daughters' phones, and my Kindle.  But at the office, everything is hard-wire.  Wireless is not even turned on.

• Like 1

Anyone with a cell phone and a free app can see any network broadcasting, whether or not they have the SSID or password.  If someone is in range, given the right tools and time, they can get in.  MAC spoofing is simple.  Getting the SSID is simple.  Passwords can be tougher, if complicated and long enough.  For most of us, with a reasonable password, the expense and time to crack it far exceeds the return on whatever we have to get stolen.

My biggest concern is making sure I can get reception in our hot tub :).

Personally, I buy my own modem, and a separate router.  I do not like the rental or provided ones, since they often do not allow you to access all of the settings (to try to keep you from asking for help).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

We have a guest wireless network that is separate from our work network, but all our work is done over cables. I don't like the idea of broadcasting sensitive client data out into the parking lot, regardless of how much 'security' I think I have.

DITTO!!  Nothing is as dependable or as fast as a GIGABIT wired network.  Wireless is only for guests and only has access to the internet.

• Like 1

I went overboard with a netgear for over $300 but got it with points, no cash.  Really sped up the response for my Ring Doorbell and camera's.  As others stated, especially with kids, you have your phones, kindles, Xboxes, printers, laptops, etc all on Wi-Fi at the same time.

• Like 2