ATX Community

Attracting New Clients

ETax847

A few thoughts:

- Send out a mass mailer postcard.  I think you can target zip codes that you are looking to attract from.  While obviously there is a cost involved in that, it is very direct...assuming the recipient glances at it. 

- Post information about your services on Social Media sites.

- Join local chamber of commerce or community groups.

- Offer $xx new client discount.  I offer a $25 new client discount and I also credit my current clients $25 when they refer new clients. 

- Sponsor a local sports team.  In my area the name of the sponsor is placed prominently on the uniforms. 

These are just thoughts I threw out there.  In some cases you will be spending some money for these ideas.  Depends on what you're looking to do and how much you are willing to spend.  Good luck!

• Like 2

I have a sign in front of the building, and try to keep a friendly or funny message up.  I currently have "Walk-Ins Welcome - Surprise Me" on it.  I really feel like that sign was responsible for 15 new clients this year.  People are not afraid to come in.  I have heard, "Surprise!" about 100 times since January.  (That's gettin old and tired, not gonna lie.)

Below is a picture of what I had on there previously.  My kids' friends got a kick out of it, but it caused some confusion, especially with one fella who was worried about me and my family issues.  You win some, you learn some.

sign (800x648).jpg

• Like 11

I agree with BHoffman.  Write a personal note to your favorite clients telling them you have time to take on a few new clients just like them.  Give compliments.  Get specific, such as family members, other investors, other truck drivers, if you're looking for a specific type.  Offer them a discount on their fees for each new, paid client.  Include several business cards.

Also, if you're not buried under extensions, offer to speak at places that would attract your preferred clients.  Retirement homes.  Realtors, if you're looking for homeowners.  Any of those networking groups, such as BNI as was mentioned, if you're looking for small business owners.  Stop in at small businesses, if that's your target, that you think are slower in the summer; wait until after Labor Day for those busiest during the summer -- introduce yourself and leave a brochure re your services offered.  Some around me in Fairfield County, CT, greet people at the train stations during the morning and evening commute to let people know they handle NY commuter/multi-state returns.  PTA meeting to talk about kids and their part-time jobs and tax obligations and filing out Forms W-4.  Decide your target, and then look for where to find them.

Let everyone you know, know exactly what you do.  Answer questions for people.  Church, banker, lawyer, broker, parents at your kids' sports events.  My broker has sent me multiple clients.  Church has been a great source.  Network at your local chapters of NATP, NAEA, etc.  I've received biz clients from other preparers who do only 1040s.  I know others who get the 1040 overflow from mid-sized CPA firms who handle mostly entity returns.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 3:12 PM, RitaB said:

I have a sign in front of the building, and try to keep a friendly or funny message up.  I currently have "Walk-Ins Welcome - Surprise Me" on it.  I really feel like that sign was responsible for 15 new clients this year.  People are not afraid to come in.  I have heard, "Surprise!" about 100 times since January.  (That's gettin old and tired, not gonna lie.)

Below is a picture of what I had on there previously.  My kids' friends got a kick out of it, but it caused some confusion, especially with one fella who was worried about me and my family issues.  You win some, you learn some.

sign (800x648).jpgS

Saw a good one the other day out in front of a church: "Fire Insurance Available Here"

• Like 2

On ‎05‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:12 PM, RitaB said:

sign (800x648).jpg

I have to ask... what was in your office before you moved into it?  That sign reminds me of someplace else...

43 minutes ago, Richcpaman said:

I have to ask... what was in your office before you moved into it?  That sign reminds me of someplace else...

I bought the building in 2004.  It was a day spa then.  Before that, a hot tub business.   No, you can't make this up.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, RitaB said:

I bought the building in 2004.  It was a day spa then.  Before that, a hot tub business.   No, you can't make this up.

Ok... it sort of reminded me of one in front of a funeral home...  You know, if they don't get hugged... :)

Great sign, however.  I should show you the one in front of my office...  can't get the landlord to replace it.

Rich

• Like 4

On 5/17/2017 at 0:16 PM, Yardley CPA said:

A few thoughts:

- Send out a mass mailer postcard.  I think you can target zip codes that you are looking to attract from.  While obviously there is a cost involved in that, it is very direct...assuming the recipient glances at it.

I would make one adjustment - don't just mail out a mass mailer to everyone, mail it out to new homeowners near your office. Pretty good chance they moved far enough that they are in the market for someone closer to home. Sales opportunities occur by hitting people up during life changing events. New kids, new home, new spouse or new ex-spouse, death of a family member etc. During those events, people are open to new ideas or have new needs. I think it was Michael Dell who used this to make over $18k per year in high school selling newspaper subscriptions by solely targeting new homeowners versus every mailing address.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Catherine said:

OK now Rich - you need to post a picture of *your* sign.  Inquiring minds want to know!  :P

I will, I have to go take a picture...  This is my other office.  Maybe Abby can snap a picture, I wont be there till Tuesday.

This is my sign for my main office.

Rich

richard graves 1.jpg

• Like 3

As promised... here is the Easton Office Sign, it is leaning even more than the picture indicates.

I am trying to attach it, seems it is too big to post.  Trying the mods to see if they can move it here.

Rich

592725347fa16_Easton_Office_Sign_2017(2).jpg.0a802512646bef1780946764a682235b.jpg

Edited by jklcpa
added photo per request

I saw it Friday. Man, oh man. Maybe you could anonymously report it as an eyesore/hazard to the town.

Hey Rich, I know you like your logo and font but they are not very readable for a sign. You might consider a block font or a nice serif font for your sign on one line that just says RICHARD C. GRAVES CPA so people can read it from the road.

• Like 1