ATX Community

Advertising for Accounting clients

GLJEANNE

For those of you who do year-round business accounting, how do you go about finding new clients these days?  It's been over 10 years since I've had to look, so the whole world of marketing has changed.  My biggest client sold his business to a national chain, so I have to find a couple new ones.  And it's very different from looking for tax clients.  Just curious what kinds of things other folks are doing.  I'm looking for small to medium sized companies, but not tiny sole props, or non-profits.

Get to know the partners at large accounting firms, so they will refer clients to you that are too small for them.

Get to know tax preparers who specialize in businesses but do not have bookkeepers, so they will refer the accounting to you.  Network at your local chapters of NATP, NAEA, etc., to let preparers know that you specialize in the day-to-day accounting/bookkeeping.

Drop in on prospective businesses in their slow times to meet face-to-face and leave them a brochure of the services you offer.

If you specialize in a certain industry, find their local trade organization and offer to speak.

• Like 1

In pretty much every profession - the highly successful people are salesmen / women. If you want to be successful, learn how to sell your product and do it.

Most accountants abhor the idea of selling themselves - they need to get over it. Just realize, mailings and seminars are essentially supporting activities - you are in for a long (expensive) battle if those are your primary focus.

• Like 1

Hmm, wouldn't have thought of trade associations, I'll look into that, thanks!  i do have a couple of tax firms that don't do accounting, but referrals have been slow lately.

I'm definitely one who hates the selling/network aspect of business!  Particularly since it's been 15-20 years since I needed to do that kind of stuff.  I don't get out much any more due to physical limitations. 

Interesting to see what others are doing!