ATX Community

PTIN Fees

Christian

Even if the ruling stands, I figure my PTIN fees since 2010 have amounted to about $400 (roughly, I did not go back and look.)  This was brought as a class action suit.  So does the IRS pay the attorneys who brought the suit, they take 1/3 plus costs off the top and then divide the rest between those preparers who elect to be part of the class?  So of the $400 I have spent, would I get maybe $200? Or less?

• Like 4

The only class action suit that ever got me any money was for Liberty Tax I think. They called my cell phone and my wife's wanting to talk about me working there and they were sued. I got two checks for $50 each.

My small claims lawsuit against TRX Tax software earned me a refund of what I paid them.

I was involved in a class action suit with JCPenny's and basically had to do nothing except say keep me in.  It finally settled and I ended up with $845.00 dollars in an e-gift card.  Didn't really believe it, but went on their website and put in the number and pin number and there it was.  I've been using it ever since and still have a balance.  So I guess my point is you just never know.  If they send them to me I will always respond, but I must say this is the biggest one yet!

• Like 3

From Accounting Today this article is quoted below in its entirety and says that IRS has reopened the PTIN system, issuing and renewing for the 2017 season at no charge, and is working with the DOJ on how to proceed. 

The Internal Revenue Service reopened its Preparer Tax Identification Number system Wednesday after closing it earlier this month because it lost a lawsuit over registration and renewal fees. 

On June 1, 2017, the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia upheld the IRS’s authority to require the use of a PTIN by tax preparers, but told the IRS it couldn't charge a user fee for issuing and renewing PTINs.  As a result, the IRS suspended PTIN registration and renewal on June 2 (see IRS loses lawsuit over PTIN fees, suspends PTIN system, and may be forced to refund preparers).

The IRS said Wednesday it is working with the Department of Justice and considering how to proceed, but meanwhile it will make PTINs available while deciding how to address the court order. 

The IRS said it is resuming the issuance of PTINS, without charge, Wednesday. As more information becomes available, it will be posted on the IRS's Tax Pros page.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Just logged in to PTIN system and renewing is not an option. We didn't used to have to renew every year. Maybe it will go back to that?

Right, I looked at that too. No-charge PTINs are for new applications and renewals for the 2017 season according to the IRS site. Who hasn't renewed for 2017 yet?!   

Personally I think that the PTIN should be as it was originally intended, to be as a replacement for our SSNs so that those aren't shown on the returns we prepare. I also think that regulating tax preparers without other credentials (those without JD, EA or CPA) should be handled at the state level as part of states' professional licensing and regulation.

• Like 4