ATX Community

"Missing" efiled forms

Margaret CPA in OH

Unhappy client brought IRS letter that lists several forms, etc. 'missing' from the return which was efiled.  The tab that shows efiled forms lists them all.  The letter also states the return doesn't have the original signature - duh!

Should I just fax an entire printed return along with the efile acceptance?  I now have to have her sign a 2848 and go through that aggravation.  Other suggestions?  I've never seen this in all the many years of efiling.

That's exactly what it sounds to me.  There are any number of things that could have happened such as since the e-filed return was accepted, another return was received for the taxpayer(s) through the mail.  It sounds like the agent working on this case is very inexperienced, and in trying to keep from calling the client fraudulent, wording of the correspondence is not ideal to say the least!

Years ago, there were two systems that reviewed the e-filed returns for correctness.  One system was used on the initial e-filing of the return and right before the refunds were released, another system was used to review the return all over again.  Sounds like the same type of situation still exists today...it should if it doesn't anyway!

If it were my client, I would send the "missing" forms, the e-file-forms-sent listing from the computer with the "missing" forms highlighted, the e-file submission ID/ack, and would also make sure that if there was a 1040 requested, that the client SIGN it.  I had a request for a 1040 for someone *just* as backup - forget the details - and the idiots rejected the backup info because it wasn't signed.  Took another letter to dope-slap them into admitting the signature wasn't actually needed.  I'm seeing more inexcusably incompetent foul-ups with the IRS and have actively been trying to give them no excuse not to do things MY way (because that's the right way, of course - no pride here, nope, uh-uh, no sirree... lol).

• Like 5

Catherine, I have done virtually all the things that you listed.  I called the number on the letter, the agent saw that the return was efiled, couldn't understand what was being asked but couldn't really help.  The letter was from a different department, Operations Manager Input Correction, ICO Rejects Team FSPC.  When I explained that I called the number on the letter, well, you can guess that went nowhere.

I would love to just fax all this but, of course, '(d)ue to high volume, we can't acknowledge receipt of your fax..."  At least I'm not too busy now but the client is really unhappy and won't enjoy the postage.

• Like 1

No, I don't think it is a scam.  The letters are in duplicate (not sure a scammer would waste the paper) and the return address to mail documents is the IRS address listed online down to the zip code.

On reflection, I think what may have happened is that we sent an amended return about 5 weeks after the original return was efiled.  I had omitted Form 8962 as the client had provided erroneous information caught later.  So she owed money from that but then could avail herself of the energy tax credit.  I wrongly assumed that the efiled return would be in the system by then.  Apparently the amended return folks thought the 1040X was her original return - or something.  Don't know but am sending the requested forms along with the 1099 various supporting documents showing the source of the amounts questioned. 

I'm not worried although it seems it will take some time to sort it out.  The client is unhappy, though.  Then again, she is a chronic complainer about high her taxes are so I should be used to it.

• Like 2