ATX Community

Client doesn't know

TAG

1 hour ago, michaelmars said:

"why make it your problem?  tell him to check his bank statements"

I agree wholeheartedly ! How are you ever going to know whether you have all of this client's information ?

You can't do everything for him or her !

• Like 2

Well, yes - except you can *charge* for the time to get the transcript, and then you know what else the bozo is missing.  It can be a good way to decide whether to keep a client, how much to up-charge him (keeper or not), and on top of that head off next year's CP2000 letter at the pass.

• Like 3

I have an elderly client who on April 15 couldn't remember if he paid his one estimate or not. (If they have the cash, I often set up older clients with just one ES so they can pay when they pick up their return and be done with it for the year.)  His son did a cursory review of the bank statements and didn't spot anything, so I didn't enter the payment, although I was pretty sure he had paid.  About three weeks later the son told me his dad got a check for the full amount.

When in doubt, especially if there isn't time to get a transcript, don't enter a questionable payment.  Better for the client to get a surprise refund than a surprise bill!

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Catherine said:

Well, yes - except you can *charge* for the time to get the transcript,

Yep, most of us are in the business of billing for our time. I have no problem with doing these things for clients, don't understand why others do.

My co-worker is a chronic complainer about EVERYTHING. I don't give him any of the attention he desires like my co-worker ("Oh, I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that, I was so worried all weekend about you"). He doesn't get this that a client asking you for help, IS OUR JOB.

• Like 4