ATX Community

Political Discussion

Eric

OK, so I try really hard to keep my political opinions out of the posts (well not really, but I try to disguise them).  Sometimes though, the motives of upcoming tax law are topics of discussions that can provide insight on what is coming down the pipe from the IRS.  Just look at the ACA to understand my point.  The IRS enforcement and rules were very much politically motivated, and the recent change in the White House has more political motivations in what the IRS may or may not due in regards to the ACA.  If there is even going to be an ACA in the future.

I love this board and I don't want to get kicked out for my political views, but I think there are some times where the politics of the tax laws does bear on our practice of tax preparation and we need to have the freedom to bring the political motivations into the topic discussion. 

However, there is no place for the extremes that we have seen before on this board and the items we have all seen in other forums.  I get that and I don't want to be part of anything like that on this forum.

So, am I being a little to sensitive to the tone of Eric's post, or can we slip in a little bit of the politics behind the actual tax laws?

Tom
Newark, CA

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

OK, so I try really hard to keep my political opinions out of the posts (well not really, but I try to disguise them).  Sometimes though, the motives of upcoming tax law are topics of discussions that can provide insight on what is coming down the pipe from the IRS.  Just look at the ACA to understand my point.  The IRS enforcement and rules were very much politically motivated, and the recent change in the White House has more political motivations in what the IRS may or may not due in regards to the ACA.  If there is even going to be an ACA in the future.

I love this board and I don't want to get kicked out for my political views, but I think there are some times where the politics of the tax laws does bear on our practice of tax preparation and we need to have the freedom to bring the political motivations into the topic discussion. 

However, there is no place for the extremes that we have seen before on this board and the items we have all seen in other forums.  I get that and I don't want to be part of anything like that on this forum.

So, am I being a little to sensitive to the tone of Eric's post, or can we slip in a little bit of the politics behind the actual tax laws?

Tom
Newark, CA

The ACA is a great example--we have an entire forum dedicated to it.  Those threads might not be as exciting as the poor excuse for a sporting event / distraction we've got going on in the media, but what's here is real, and impacts you as a tax preparer right now.

I think it comes down to whether the discussion is about the law itself and what actually affects you as a tax preparer.  If you can't separate that from the people and parties involved, then leave it alone.  

We're not going down that road again.  It didn't work before, and it's not going to suddenly work now--nothing has changed since then.  Anyone who feels strongly about politics isn't being honest with themselves if they think political discussion here won't become combative and antagonistic.  The thing is, some people enjoy that kind of argument, but that's not the atmosphere we're going for here.

Nobody is getting kicked out for their political views.  We don't care about anybody's political views.   We take not caring so seriously that we don't even want to know about anybody's political views.  I guess you could call it the "don't ask, don't tell" approach.

PS: Borg got his balls removed yesterday, poor bugger.

• Like 5