ATX Community

The Rare Client

BLACK BART

Client stopped by the office this morning and; (maybe not quite this scarce, but still...) 

https://www.amazon.com/Bring-Me-Unicorn-Lindbergh-1922-1928/dp/0156141647

said he was going to sell $75K of stock, but first wanted to know: "What would be the effect on my taxes?"

What'sa matter with this guy?  Doesn't he know it's standard practice throughout the tax preparation world for clients to sell now and ask that question next April?  

• Like 7

Hahaha I just got off the phone with a lady that won a purse from TN Lottery, valued at $1300.  She asked me what the tax would be before she sent in the W-9.  She was smart enough to know she wasn't sending that form in if she couldn't make anything reselling that purse.  I almost cried.  I may need mental help myself.

• Like 8

22 hours ago, RitaB said:

Hahaha I just got off the phone with a lady that won a purse from TN Lottery, valued at $1300.  She asked me what the tax would be before she sent in the W-9.  She was smart enough to know she wasn't sending that form in if she couldn't make anything reselling that purse.  I almost cried.  I may need mental help myself.

This is always the problem with personal property being the "win"  What is it really worth?  The state says $1,300.  But, that may be a MSRP, and not what you CAN buy it for.  It might be $400.  Take a deduction for the FMV difference.

It is a real problem on the game shows.  The MSRP on the HI vacation is $15,000.  But you can book it the same week for $7,500.....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richcpaman said:

This is always the problem with personal property being the "win"  What is it really worth?  The state says $1,300.  But, that may be a MSRP, and not what you CAN buy it for.  It might be $400.  Take a deduction for the FMV difference.

It is a real problem on the game shows.  The MSRP on the HI vacation is $15,000.  But you can book it the same week for $7,500.....

Absolutely.  In fact, she said the RETAIL price at Macy's and Nordstrom's is about $600.  I told her print proof that it's the exact same purse and I'll adjust Line 21 so that you pay tax on what the thing is really "worth".  She really is quite sharp.  I was afraid to tell you I saw two unicorns in one day...

• Like 3