ATX Community

AUR CPE class today

BHoffman

Things I learned today about IRS AUR (most common: CP2000 notices):

1.  Better to fax responses unless a huge stack of paperwork is involved.  The response goes directly to an agent for processing instead of sitting in the mail.

2.  IRS is "working" on a way to match K-1 forms.   I got the impression that, as of today, IRS does not match K-1s.

3.  Always best to provide a statement for any amount listed on line 21, showing each payor EIN and each amount separately.  If IRS can exactly match an amount to a 1099, it won't issue a CP2000.

4.  Better to call Practioner Priority Line and select Option 5 to be connected to AUR section.  Those calls are routed to the front of the line, so less wait time.

5.  Never send an amended tax return in response to a CP2000.  AUR does not process amended tax returns, and it just muddies the waters.

I think I've read questions regarding the above, and thought I'd share with you :)

• Like 9

I'm actually loving CPE Academy. The live webinars are usually only an hour, so I can pay full attention instead of dropping off into my own drool after hours and hours.  And, they are free!  I'm finding them to be interesting and informative.  Tomorrow, "Reasonable Compensation for Shareholder Employees of SCorps".   It will be fun to see how the presenter determines this.

• Like 2

I listened to the same lecture this morning and I resent the IRS rep who spoke as if the IRS is faultless. I have a case going on over a YEAR, where responding to their notices and sending cover letter explanations and details gets you no place. The person at the other end doesn't bother contacting you - whatever they don't change or reconcile goes back in the pile to re-send another collection notice. Then when you finally reach AUR unit, you're not given a full explanation - only 1 fact and the process starts all over again.  Yes - what he said was true- the sooner you respond to a notice before a deadline - the better the chances are of settling the issue.

What's a "Practioner" Priority Line.

And by the way folks, the speaker didn't even know the correct line number for Miscellaneous Income, or what CP stands for. (Computer or Code Paragraph).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, BHoffman said:

I'm actually loving CPE Academy. The live webinars are usually only an hour, so I can pay full attention instead of dropping off into my own drool after hours and hours.  And, they are free!  I'm finding them to be interesting and informative.  Tomorrow, "Reasonable Compensation for Shareholder Employees of SCorps".   It will be fun to see how the presenter determines this.

Agreed that although CPAacademy.com has most presenters there with a sales motive; most give good information and just mention sales. The information is timely and as you said free. IRS also uses CPAacademy.com to share their information and webinars with the only difference is CPAacademy.com is not allowed to record the IRS webinars for later playback (the others are usually archived for use later if desired).

Here is another place for CE's for all from CPA's, EA's and we lowly AFSP folks. They are reasonable and even have different "specials" during the year. The self study is extremely welcome as I need a lot of breaks at times. Please contact Platinum Professional Services at 877 315-1772 or email us at [email protected] if you have any questions.    By the way, here is a "special" just received: The promo code Celebration is valid from Wednesday, July 26th, 2017 at 10pm PST and expires Thursday, July 27th, 2017 at 10pm, PST. Offer good for one course per customer.  No refunds given on prior orders. This offer is not applicable on already discounted group orders and promo codes can not be combined. Please note:  offer is not valid on Yaeger's CPA review course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Randall said:

Why does the letter say send 1040X and write 'CP2000' on top?

Yes.  Great question.  I'm looking at a CP2000 right now and under "Next Steps" it says, "If you are making other changes, we recommend you file an amended return (Form 1040X), write 'CP2000' on the top of and attach it behind your completed Response form."

I have read a lot of discussions where tax pros were unbending on the never file a 1040X in response to a CP2000.  I am convinced there are times that it is absolutely necessary, and if it causes more work for IRS that is absolutely not my concern.  I'm not going to try explain changes and hope they figure the tax correctly.  No way.  Plus I either have to do a 1040X or redo the return to know what the tax is myself.  Might as well show IRS and not be sitting around for months hoping for the best.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, RitaB said:

Yes.  Great question.  I'm looking at a CP2000 right now and under "Next Steps" it says, "If you are making other changes, we recommend you file an amended return (Form 1040X), write 'CP2000' on the top of and attach it behind your completed Response form."

I have read a lot of discussions where tax pros were unbending on the never file a 1040X in response to a CP2000.  I am convinced there are times that it is absolutely necessary, and if it causes more work for IRS that is absolutely not my concern.  I'm not going to try explain changes and hope they figure the tax correctly.  No way.  Plus I either have to do a 1040X or redo the return to know what the tax is myself.  Might as well show IRS and not be sitting around for months hoping for the best.

DITTO DITTO

• Like 3