ATX Community

Mozilla sets up private, encrypted file sharing service for large files

Abby Normal

https://www.helpnetsecurity.com/2017/08/04/encrypted-file-sharing/

https://send.firefox.com/

Mozilla has launched an online service for private sharing of encrypted files between two users. It’s called Send, and it’s meant to ensure users’ shared files do not remain online forever.

encrypted file sharing

Encrypted file sharing: How does it work?

Send allows users to upload a file (up to 1GB), it encrypts it, and provides a link that can be sent to the person for whom the file is intended.

The link will “expire” after 1 download or 24 hours – whichever comes first – and Mozilla says that all the sent files will be automatically deleted from the Send server.

“When you use Send, Mozilla receives an encrypted copy of the file you upload, and basic information about the file, such as filename and file size. Mozilla does not have the ability to access the content of your encrypted file, and only keeps it for the time or number of downloads indicated,” the company claims.

John Gruen, Mozilla Product Manager explained to Help Net Security that Send uses the Web Cryptography JavaScript API with the AES-GCM algorithm for client side encryption and decryption, and that the service works in all browsers that support the latest Web Cryptography JavaScript API.

I’ve tested the service on Safari, Firefox and Chrome, and it works like a charm on the latter two. Naturally, both the sender and the recipient have to use a browser that supports the API in question.

If you’re going to use the service, know that anyone you provide with the unique link to your encrypted file will be able to download and access that file, so be careful to whom you actually provide the link.

Send has been released as part of the company’s Test Pilot, a site where the Mozilla team publishes experimental features that may or may not end up in Firefox or some of its other software offerings, or even continue their life as standalone solution.

"On December 1, 2015, Mozilla Executive Chair Mitchell Baker announced in a company-wide memo that Thunderbird development needs to be uncoupled from Firefox. She referred to Thunderbird developers spending large efforts responding to changes to Mozilla technologies, while Firefox was paying a tax to support Thunderbird development. She also said that she does not believe Thunderbird has the potential for "industry-wide impact" that Firefox does.  At the same time, it was announced that Mozilla Foundation will provide at least a temporary legal and financial home for the Thunderbird project"

This is what I had read, so it's not really a Mozilla program any more.

I've never had a problem with Thunderbird. Used it for probably 14ish years? Before that I used The Bat! because it was the smallest sized email program I could find. (had an old computer running dial up)

Since I moved my corporate email account to Google - Thunderbird calendar is automatically linked to my google calendar so I can access it from any of my computers / cell phone.

I might use Firefox Send - thanks for that. That seems pretty good. Not being able to use IE - wonder if that'll ever be an issue. It works for Apple products?

Thanks again.