TAXMAN

DELETE CLIENTS

30 posts in this topic

Ok Guys; I have 3 backups of my 2011, 2012,2013,2014 clients. I want to keep the program on the drive but delete the clients. When I try to delete it says cannot delete if client is efiled in an acceptance state.I remember there was a way but can't remember. Help please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you're running out of space, get a bigger drive or install a second drive. You really shouldn't delete your data files.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I

18 hours ago, TAXMAN said:

Ok Guys; I have 3 backups of my 2011, 2012,2013,2014 clients. I want to keep the program on the drive but delete the clients. When I try to delete it says cannot delete if client is efiled in an acceptance state.I remember there was a way but can't remember. Help please.

I'd also like to know.  My ATX won't let me delete them either.

17 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

If you're running out of space, get a bigger drive or install a second drive. You really shouldn't delete your data files.

It's not a space/storage problem; it's a security problem.  I've already got hard copies of everybody for at least three years, some seven if equipment's involved, and some from day one depending on other factors.  However, if somebody breaks in and swipes my computers I don't care if they get the programs, but if they can manage to break the passwords then they have access to hundreds of clients' information.  I want to keep the programs only to use for potential future clients who are years behind in filing and to delete the old clients so they aren't at risk from thieves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way would be to uninstall the program, delete the data folders and do a fresh install.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you delete client files....

DANGER DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

A paper copy will have no functionality if you need to investigate/check/change the return.

Our ATX program uses 50GB of HD space for each year.  It will NOT ever be streamlined.  Deleting client files is setting yourself up for huge problems.

We added a second server with 6TB of C: drive space for ATX.  At 50GB each year, we have 30 years of storage capacity.

Bite the bullet, finish stepping into the 21st century and buy hardware to suit the software you are using.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

The only way would be to uninstall the program, delete the data folders and do a fresh install.

Yes, I know that, but it's too much trouble to reinstall for just one client. That's why I'm interested in TAXMAN's remembrance of a way without killing off the program. 

5 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

If you delete client files....DANGER DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!! A paper copy will have no functionality if you need to investigate/check/change the return. Our ATX program uses 50GB of HD space for each year.  It will NOT ever be streamlined.  Deleting client files is setting yourself up for huge problems. We added a second server with 6TB of C: drive space for ATX.  At 50GB each year, we have 30 years of storage capacity. Bite the bullet, finish stepping into the 21st century and buy hardware to suit the software you are using.

While Will R. might see danger and huge problems in deleting them; I don't. To me, a paper copy is functional for investigation and checking as long as I can read English.  If change is needed, I'll do a 1040X from scratch. Too, I'll keep the last three years' clients until refund times expire. 

Thank you :) for the friendly advice, but I don't want want to abandon the old days.  While I have no doubt your office is fully equipped with 6TBs of warp drive and a memory bank which won't expire until the twelfth of never, I much prefer software that suits me instead of some damned machine. 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Besides, a small scratch won't render a paper copy useless. :)

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Jack from Ohio said:

A paper copy will have no functionality if you need to investigate/check/change the return.

Respectfully, I investigate paper copies every time a new client hands me a prior year return.  If I find a error, I can fix it. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rita B

Even tho I take many precautions, if that computer got stolen a reasonably good hacker can get past all the precautions. That's why I wanted to get them off and have only the program there. I suppose we could contact ATX to see what they recommend.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TAXMAN said:

Rita B

Even tho I take many precautions, if that computer got stolen a reasonably good hacker can get past all the precautions. That's why I wanted to get them off and have only the program there. I suppose we could contact ATX to see what they recommend.

What if they steal your paper copies? What if you have a fire or flood that ruins your paper copies. What if you can't find your paper copy because it was lost, tossed or misfiled?

Sorry but the new ways are better. Plus you save a ton on toner, paper and labor.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

What if they steal your paper copies? What if you have a fire or flood that ruins your paper copies. What if you can't find your paper copy because it was lost, tossed or misfiled?

Sorry but the new ways are better. Plus you save a ton on toner, paper and labor.

What if you tell them you work till 3:00 and they stay in your hair till 3:10?  Can I toss paper at them?  How about ink?   Wow, I am so lazy in the off season I am totally hijacking this thread right now and then going home.   :P

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to start doing all my paper returns in cursive.  They don't teach cursive in school any more, and hardly anybody uses it, so most thieves wouldn't be able to understand the info well enough to steal any identity information anyhow. Now that's REAL security.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, JohnH said:

I'm going to start doing all my paper returns in cursive.  They don't teach cursive in school any more, and hardly anybody uses it, so most thieves wouldn't be able to understand the info well enough to steal any identity information anyhow. Now that's REAL security.

Plus, thieves are too lazy to get my files out of the cabinets.  It's a lot of work.  They're cumbersome.  Cursive is a brilliant extra measure to safeguard against that one go getter with a strong back.  Nice, John.  I love it.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm just doing my part in the interest of security & efficiency.  

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Abby Normal said:

What if they steal your paper copies?...

Possible, but unlikely. Anybody can lift a computer, but you'd need a dolly and a willing workman for locked, heavy file cabinets.  As Rita points out, it's a lot of work.  And, as a deputy sheriff client once told me, "They steal because they're too lazy to work." 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Abby Normal said:

 ...What if you have a fire or flood that ruins your paper copies...

Wouldn't that also destroy your storage devices if you keep them in your office or home? Offsite storage by a vendor is an option, but who knows who works there and has full access to your stuff?  That "cloud" I hear so much about might work, but unless God's tending to it along with the moon and stars I'm not interested.  

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Abby Normal said:

....What if you can't find your paper copy because it was lost, tossed or misfiled?

That happens, so I'll 'fess up. After closing each night we backup two copies of all clients on flash drives and then stash them under a 50 yard blanket of blown loose particles insulation if intruders care to climb up in the uncooled/unheated attic and search.  One copy stays there - one later goes to a safe deposit box with prior years' clients.  I think they'll be okay there unless Kim the Young'Un pops off that EMP.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:27 PM, Abby Normal said:

...Sorry but the new ways are better. Plus you save a ton on toner, paper and labor.

Well, as a friend of mine once told an electronista, everybody "runs his shop" a different way.  I like paper; you and Jack like electrons and it's alright with me.  I didn't mean to offend with my above outburst of cussin' and know y'all were just trying to be helpful, so thanks to both of you for that. 

P. S.  I have to disagree about the "ton" of savings; this season cost $90-paper, $200-toner, plus our mom and pop wages are zero.  I can live with that. :rolleyes:

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 ---> And, as a deputy sheriff client once told me, "They steal because they're too lazy to work." <----

Reminds me of an incident a few years ago when someone stole my Ford Crown Vic from a parking lot where I had left it while driving a rental car on a trip.  The Crown Vic had about 200K miles on it and the front & rear seats didn't even match.  The ignition switch was so worn that you didn't even need the key inserted to start it.  They drove it about 8 miles, then abandoned it in an industrial park after kicking in the windshield.  I was more amused than upset about it, and I asked the police officer why he thought someone would steal that car when there were so many nice ones sitting around it.  He replied "Hey, I never said they were smart."

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An acquaintance of mine lived in the UK for some time and had an ancient Mini Cooper (one of the original, really tiny ones) that was so old it only had three gears left:  reverse, first, and third.  Second and fourth were toast.  No key needed, either - ignition system was also worn out.  He left it unlocked and (when not raining) with windows open.  It was stolen a number of times; each time he found it abandoned at the side of the road within two blocks of its parking spot.  It became almost a game to him, searching for his car.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just paper and toner, it's also file folders, manila folders, sharpies, labels, sticky notes, etc. Our office supplies dropped about 75% or $3k per year by going paperless. Obviously, we're bigger than a 'mom and pop' organization.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

It's not just paper and toner, it's also file folders, manila folders, sharpies, labels, sticky notes, etc. Our office supplies dropped about 75% or $3k per year by going paperless. Obviously, we're bigger than a 'mom and pop' organization.

Abby, you know I love you.  And I'm just a "mom" organization.  But I love file folders, sharpies, labels, sticky notes.  I also spent a good chunk on hum dinger presentation folders and it makes me happy.  It makes me happy to pull out a file when a client comes in with a question, and I can show them my notes of the phone call we had a month ago that might as well have been with Kim the Young'Un cause they recall ZERO of what we discussed.  There's room for all us.  Merica.   

(I'm also not deleting my data files and am not sure how that rumor got started...)

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RitaB said:

I love file folders, sharpies, labels, sticky notes

I know. All accountant types are/were addicted to office supplies. Just think how excited you get with a free highlighter! You know it's true. But... I'd rather have that 3 grand at the end of the year. Oh, and I love you too! <mwah>

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

All accountant types are/were addicted to office supplies.

Oh, yeah, baby....

:lol:

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

It's not just paper and toner, it's also file folders, manila folders, sharpies, labels, sticky notes, etc. Our office supplies dropped about 75% or $3k per year by going paperless. Obviously, we're bigger than a 'mom and pop' organization.

Aw, okay; you've got a point and I yield.  If it saved $3K, then I'd

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Jack from Ohio said:

...Bite the bullet, finish stepping into the 21st century and buy hardware to suit the software you are using.

Just curious, but are there any paper clips in your office? :D

Regards, Pop

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BLACK BART said:

are there any paper clips in your office?

Yes but we mostly use them to clip envelopes to payment vouchers. Gotta get those clients into using Direct Pay.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're on the subject of unwanted paper, if any clients leave paper in your office that you don't want lying around, I'll volunteer to dispose of it.  Especially if it's green in color and has pictures of presidents on it.

 

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.