ATX Community

NT - For the math guru in you

ILLMAS

A lady walks into a store and steals $100 from the cash register, later on during the day she walks back in and buys $70 worth of merchandise, pays with the $100 she had previously stolen and the owner gives her $30 in change.  How much did the store lose?

A 30

B 70

C 100

D 130

E 170

F 200

• Like 1

$200 - unless you want to get finicky and say that they did not technically "lose" the foregone profit on the $70 of goods, but rather just the COGS.  Except I'd counter that they also lost the profit on those goods for not selling them to a non-crook.  Yeah, they got $70 in cash back - in exchange for the same value of goods.  Whether it's cash or goods, the value is still gone.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rfassett said:

I bow to the math wizard but I think it is only $100. $100 cash was taken and given back in exchange for $70 of goods and $30 in cash.  Net loss to store is $100 in my simple way of thinking.

Ah, you're right.  I forgot they got the $100 bill back.Comes from answering while I was dealing with a question from my assistant.  Missed a crucial bit.  I stand corrected!

• Like 4

A guy walks into a bar, orders 12 shots and starts drinking them as fast as he can.

The bartender asks, "Dang, why are you drinking so fast?"

The guy says, "You would be drinking fast, too, if you had what I had."

The bartender asks, "What do you have?"

The guy says, "75 cents."

• Like 4

Three friends on a fishing trip check into a cheap hotel.  The room costs $30, so each pays $10.  Later the desk clerk realizes he should only have charged $25 for the room, so he takes $5 back to the room.  They can't figure out how to split the $5, so they decide to tip the clerk $2, and each of them keeps $1, meaning they each paid $9 each for the room. So since $9 x 3 = $27 and then you add $2 for the tip, you now have $29.  They originally paid $10 x 3 = $30.  What happened to the other $1?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, JohnH said:

Three friends on a fishing trip check into a cheap hotel.  The room costs $30, so each pays $10.  Later the desk clerk realizes he should only have charged $25 for the room, so he takes $5 back to the room.  They can't figure out how to split the $5, so they decide to tip the clerk $2, and each of them keeps $1, meaning they each paid $9 each for the room. So since $9 x 3 = $27 and then you add $2 for the tip, you now have $29.  They originally paid $10 x 3 = $30.  What happened to the other $1?

Cost of Room =$30.  After returning $5, Cost = $25.  After $2 tip, cost = $27 or $9/each.  Remaining $3 is split up.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Max W said:

Cost of Room =$30.  After returning $5, Cost = $25.  After $2 tip, cost = $27 or $9/each.  Remaining $3 is split up.

19 hours ago, JohnH said:

They didn't pay $9 each for the room, only $8.333 each, total $25.  Then they paid $.6666 each for the tip, total $2.  They paid $9 each total and $27 altogether.

• Like 3

The room costs $30, so each pays $10.  Later the desk clerk realizes he should only have charged $25 for the room, so he takes $5 back to the room.  They can't figure out how to split the $5, so they decide to tip the clerk $2, and each of them keeps $1

What's wrong with these guys? They should have bought extra bait, or snacks, or beer.

• Like 2