ATX Community

IRS bill - Shared responsibility payment for 2016

ILLMAS

I am confused, TP owed $1,593 of SRP + $5,000 of SE Tax totaling $6,593, he had withholdings of $1K and made $4K in estimated tax payment leaving him with a balance of $593 which was paid by April 15, 2017, today he received a SRP bill for $1,593 which has been paid already, I am miss learning something?  Basically my client is paying twice :rolleyes: he send the payment, anyone else believe the letter was sent in error?

32 minutes ago, ILLMAS said:

leaving him with a balance of $593 which was paid by April 15, 2017, today he received a SRP bill for $1,593 which has been paid already

I haven't seen anything like that. I think you have a typo in that balance due. Didn't the return show a balance due of $1,593 that was paid in April?  It sounds like that April payment of the balance due wasn't applied properly. If you e-filed the return and sent the client off with the 1040-V, are you absolutely sure that the client paid it?  Have him get a copy of the cancelled check as proof of payment when you or he answers the letter.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

Everyone of my clients who owed the penalty and paid it by the due date have received a bill.  You have to call and have them move the payment over.  A royal mess! 

Does this include clients that ended up with returns showing a net refund too?   I only had one client this season that actually owed the penalty (penalty was $290), and that return had a net refund of about $1000 that was refunded by direct deposit 9 days later.  I haven't heard from him about receiving any notice of balance due.