ATX Community

IRS Issues Urgent Warning to Beware IRS FBI Themed Ransomware Scam

Elrod

IR-2017-134, Aug. 28, 2017

IRS YouTube Videos:
Tax Scams: English  | Spanish  | ASL

Private Collection of Overdue Taxes: English | Spanish

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service today warned people to avoid a new phishing scheme that impersonates the IRS and the FBI as part of a ransomware scam to take computer data hostage.

The scam email uses the emblems of both the IRS and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. It tries to entice users to select a “here” link to download a fake FBI questionnaire. Instead, the link downloads a certain type of malware called ransomware that prevents users from accessing data stored on their device unless they pay money to the scammers.

“This is a new twist on an old scheme,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. “People should stay vigilant against email scams that try to impersonate the IRS and other agencies that try to lure you into clicking a link or opening an attachment. People with a tax issue won’t get their first contact from the IRS with a threatening email or phone call."

https://www.irs.gov/uac/newsroom/irs-issues-urgent-warning-to-beware-irs-fbi-themed-ransomware-scam

• Thanks 1

Roberts, do read them.  When a new scam is unearthed, I get messages from IRS, my professional associations, and sometimes the software provider and state, so it does seem like overload.    However it serves to drive the point home and keep you alert to the latest tricks.  Last week I read one (not sure if from IRS) that scared the .... out of me.  Crooks are dropping into accounting/tax offices and leaving thumb drives behind, sometimes on the floor, near the door, a desk or counter.  Our clients drop off these drives all the time, and if the recept is busy at the moment it might not get put with the appropriate file.  If you were to find a stray one, what is the first thing you'd do?  And guess what?  Your computer and likely server get loaded with malware.  My boss, who is kind of like you getting sick of the warnings, immediately decided that we will get a supply of little Ziploc baggies and label every thumb drive that comes in the door.  Anything not identified will get loaded into an old server that isn't connected to anything.

Some old scams continue.  Just today I had yet another message on my home phone that the IRS is suing me.  There was no number on the caller id, and the recorded voice left an unintelligible call back number, but the answering machine memory showed a number that filled in the blanks of what "she" said.   I have never before reported these calls to the FTC because the scammers keep changing their numbers, but this time I think I will.  I don't think it is the same crooks calling my number repeatedly.  I think they are selling their phone lists and those are getting sold again and again.  How many people will believe 15 calls stating "this is your final notice before we file a lawsuit against you"?  Final should be final.  I guess it doesn't cost them anything but the price of the temporary phone number, and if only one person out of a million falls for it they get some cash.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SaraEA said:

Roberts, do read them.  When a new scam is unearthed, I get messages from IRS, my professional associations, and sometimes the software provider and state, so it does seem like overload.    However it serves to drive the point home and keep you alert to the latest tricks.  Last week I read one (not sure if from IRS) that scared the .... out of me.  Crooks are dropping into accounting/tax offices and leaving thumb drives behind, sometimes on the floor, near the door, a desk or counter.  Our clients drop off these drives all the time, and if the recept is busy at the moment it might not get put with the appropriate file.  If you were to find a stray one, what is the first thing you'd do?  And guess what?  Your computer and likely server get loaded with malware.  My boss, who is kind of like you getting sick of the warnings, immediately decided that we will get a supply of little Ziploc baggies and label every thumb drive that comes in the door.  Anything not identified will get loaded into an old server that isn't connected to anything.

Some old scams continue.  Just today I had yet another message on my home phone that the IRS is suing me.  There was no number on the caller id, and the recorded voice left an unintelligible call back number, but the answering machine memory showed a number that filled in the blanks of what "she" said.   I have never before reported these calls to the FTC because the scammers keep changing their numbers, but this time I think I will.  I don't think it is the same crooks calling my number repeatedly.  I think they are selling their phone lists and those are getting sold again and again.  How many people will believe 15 calls stating "this is your final notice before we file a lawsuit against you"?  Final should be final.  I guess it doesn't cost them anything but the price of the temporary phone number, and if only one person out of a million falls for it they get some cash.

7% of the people that get these calls respond and send money.  It is very lucrative.

• Like 2

temporary phone numbers are free. You can go online and get them for anywhere in the country you want to appear to be calling from.

I have one from a cell phone app that allows me to make unlimited, darn near free international phone calls using wifi. The wife and I went and lived in Ireland for a month, we'd do about 2 hours of work before dinner and I could make phone calls to clients with it - appeared I was coming from a local number. No clients realized I was gone.

• Like 1

So this is why I am now getting tons of calls apparently from local numbers?  I have gotten dozens of calls to my cell with the same area code and prefix--just the last four digits vary.  I also gets lots of calls to my home phone that have a local exchange but no message is ever left.  I looked up a few of these and none is on a scammer list.  I think they are just regular folks whose numbers are being imitated by a bot randomly picking the last four digits.  Scares me to think that mine is being used in this way too.  We installed NoMoRobo and all but the imitated numbers have stopped.  If you can do this for free, we will never be rid of crap calls.  Why don't the authorities make the phone carriers do something?

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, SaraEA said:

Scares me to think that mine is being used in this way too. 

This is actually happening with my cell phone number, a number that I've had for more than 25 years and that I've never given to anyone, and only recently to my vet specialty hospital. No one other than family even knows the number!  One older gentleman from downstate DE was repeatedly calling me back on that cell # and insisted that I'd been calling him. We now sort of know each other by the numerous phone conversations we'd had over this, and he does now believe that it isn't really me calling him.  It's so incredibly frustrating! 

Now just yesterday I got a similar call on my office line, guy asked for me by name but then said he'd misdialed. Very strange. I'm wondering if it was one of those calls where the caller tries to get the person to say "yes".  I never say that and keep asking who they are, where they are calling from, what company they are with, etc. 

41 minutes ago, SaraEA said:

We installed NoMoRobo and all but the imitated numbers have stopped.

Yes!  This is working great on my home line through Comcast.  Sadly, I have a traditional business landline through Verizon and it isn't available on that type of service, otherwise I'd have it there too. I'm hoping that it will be available on cell phones someday.

• Like 2

Oh, these cell phone calls with my area code and first 3 digits are driving me nuts along with the never ending robot voice and at least 30 calls now on my landline phone - leaving voicemail messages! - from 833.217.3824. I no longer answer my phone at all unless I know who is calling.  But with this last one leaving voice mail messages, I can't even escape that now.  Arrrgggghhhhh!!!!!

• Like 2

I used to just let unrecognized incoming calls go to voicemail email.   But lately I'm more inclined to answer, then use a stock response to their initial inquiry.  No matter what they say or ask, I always reply "What's the purpose of your call?"  It puts even the most aggressive caller on the defensive.  If they can't answer that question in a succinct sentence, then I tell them to stop wasting my time and I hang up.  Altogether it takes 15-30 seconds, which is generally less time than to listen to a recorded message or a dead air recording.

I think this is decreasing the number of these calls, but one never knows for sure.

I do make an exception for the people calling to tell me my computer has a virus.  I like to keep them tied up for a while just to delay their calling & scamming the next victim. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Caller ID helped for a long time, but apparently technology has advanced to the point that scammers can spoof actual numbers and use them to call me.  I normally don't answer my home phone or cell phone unless I recognize the number, but I have had a couple of calls come through with the name of local businesses as the caller and when I answer it turns out to be someone trying to sell me something.  Seems like they are always a step ahead. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2017 at 7:36 AM, ILLMAS said:

I believe one of my associates fell for this scam for the second time, he called the number and was charged $400+ to fix his computer, they did such a good job that left some tracking software on his computer.  

This should probably be a sign that you should disassociate yourself from that associate.

• Haha 1

NoMoRobo is free for landlines (not sure if business lines are included) and is available for cell phones for a price.  Not much, I think $1.99 a month, but it may be worth it to you if you are being overwhelmed.  It's available for iphones but not sure about Androids.  Might be worth looking into

SaraEA, for a moment there I had a glimmer of hope.  I have a landline!  Alas, NoMoRobo doesn't work on the traditional copper wire lines like mine, only on VoIP, it seems.  I deliberately kept my traditional landline despite being inundated by Cincinnati Bell to convert to Fioptics because no power means no phone. So long as I have my business, I keep the landline.  I switched briefly a few years ago keeping my fax line as land and the power promptly went out.  I switched back.

So 833.217.3824 keep on coming.  I am well over 30 now with 6 in one day recently.  I've taken to occasionally answering then promptly hanging up just to avoid the message left on voice mail.  It is really tiring, annoying and all those curse words you can imagine. Do you suppose if I do call back that number they will leave me alone? HAH!

• Like 1

I have sometimes thought that if I could be sure to get through to an actual person, I would at some point like to do that.  And then just breathe and moan into the phone, like an old geezer having a spasm or something.  Except I can't be sure to get a sleazebucket; I could get some poor schmuck taking a distasteful temporary job to keep from losing their house.

• Like 1