ATX Community

Extraordinary Savings......

Elrod

I worked in corporate for 2 (very long) years when I was young and dumb.  I remember there was a girl in our accounting dept that every single night went to the bathroom before heading home.  Only after I worked there for some time did I realize she was taking a roll of toilet paper home with her every night.  I couldn't believe it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

I worked in corporate for 2 (very long) years when I was young and dumb.  I remember there was a girl in our accounting dept that every single night went to the bathroom before heading home.  Only after I worked there for some time did I realize she was taking a roll of toilet paper home with her every night.  I couldn't believe it.  

**it happens!  A friend's wife used to be a supervisor at Time-Warner's corporate office in Memphis and we also were astounded when she told us that management had installed miniature padlocks on the toilet paper holders in all bathroom facilities.  Apparently the employees were making off with them on a regular basis.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So that explains why so many places have one-ply scratchy toilet paper, and come to think of it crappy paper towels that don't dry anything.  I used to think they were just being cheap, which made no sense because one has to use five times as much to do the job.  It's really because of the bandits.  I'm so glad I work in a "classy" place where instead of stealing the goods, we've been known to bring in a roll or two from home when the supply is low and no one has time to go to Costco.  (Their Kirkland brand toilet brand is THE BEST and is still wide enough to fit the dispenser when the name brands chopped the width.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

a girl in our accounting dept that every single night went to the bathroom before heading home

I used to do this, too, back when I worked for other people instead of myself.  Not to steal paper!  Rather, because it was a *long* drive home, and even longer if there were traffic snafus.  No sense in getting halfway home to realize you should have stopped before heading out, and being miserable the rest of the drive!  :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friend of ours works at a paper product factory (paper towels, TP, diapers and so forth). Wife complained to him one time the toilet paper rolls were getting smaller and smaller and his reply was that maybe her butt was getting bigger and bigger. Thankfully my wife took it for the joke it was, friend's wife on the other hand did NOT think it was funny at all.

One of the many places I worked in college was a collections agency. The workers found the supply closet unlocked one night by accident and a girl took about 30 of those massive TP rolls and a case of paper towels. Declared it her bonus for a job well done!

• Like 2

As long as we're relating TP stories, when I was in the Navy on an aircraft carrier, the stalls had a side fixture for tp.  But they didn't put the tp there.  They strung a chain along the back overhead down a row of stalls.  Then put the tp rolls on the chain and arranged them so a couple of rolls were in back of each stall.  You had to stand up, turn around and reach back to the tp for the job.  Up and down several times to complete the necessary work.  This is not a joke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, Randall said:

And have you noticed the larger size of the cardboard rolls the paper is wrapped around?  Seems the diameter is twice the size as it used to be.  Makes the rolls look larger but maybe less paper.

No but I've noticed the width shrinking in recent years.... but I'm ok with that. Just looks silly on the standard holders these days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This thread is funnier (and more informative and enlightening) than the 3 bears Charmin commercials.  But the best TP story I ever heard was a client of mine (who passed away 10 years ago at 97 y/o) was part of the Norwegian resistance during WW2.  He and another guy wrote memoirs on a roll of TP.  I assume the paper at that time had more substance.  They wrote a book about it....the resistance, not the TP.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 9/12/2017 at 2:32 PM, FDNY said:

I always believed the paper should go over the top, not under, but that's just my preference.

My wife explained to me, when she was in college and working at Pizza Hut, that the toilet paper goes over the top for a very specific reason: so that your hand doesn't accidentally touch the wall behind the paper roll when you reach to pull.  

In other words, you gain a buffer between the wall and the paper you grab which is greater than or equal to the diameter of the paper roll (depending on the design of the holder)

I don't know if Pizza Hut affects everyone's digestive system the same way, but during her time there, she had witnessed some incredible scenes in that restroom not unlike a painting by Jackson Pollock.  Call it PTSD if you wish, but she prefers to touch as little of the environment as possible when using a public restroom.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Incredible we can proliferate dozens of posts referencing toilet paper.  Since there are starving children, global warming, hurricane damage and a host of other problems I won't add to the toilet paper frenzy.

Except to say one of my Yankee friends thought Johnny Cash was a pay toilet...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/13/2017 at 10:33 AM, taxxcpa said:

When I was in the Air Force there was a base regulation about how to hang toilet paper.  I was to roll over the top.

When I went through Air Force basic training, we would get demerits in a barracks inspection if all the toilet paper rolls were not arranged to unroll over the top, and with the last piece folded under, corner-to-corner at a 45-degree angle,  forming a "salute". 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1