ATX Community

Partnership Installment Sale of Single Asset

JohnH

Taxpayer & spouse are equal partners in a partnership which has owned a commercial building for many years.  They have been filing partnership returns annually and distributing the net income/loss to one another via separate K1/Sched E on their MFJ  return..  The partnership is entering into an agreement to sell the building on an installment sale.  They want to simplify their tax return filing and eliminate the 1065/K1/E combo if possible, since the installment sale reporting will continue far into the future.  Any thoughts on the simplest way to accomplish this?

Distributing the property and liquidating the partnership would be a thought.  The sale agreement would need to be modified so that the sellers are the TP and Spouse, and the title should be transferred - all before the sale is completed.  

That can be simple or complicated, depending on many things - hot assets, outside vs. inside basis, cash distributed along with the property, debt relief, etc.

I like this article regarding partnership distributions, and it gives lots of examples concerning liquidating distributions:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonynitti/2015/01/20/tax-geek-tuesday-understanding-partnership-distributions-part-1/#621811aa2c11

I appreciate the thoughts and the link. I was also thinking the title should be transferred before the sale is completed.  I'm assuming that should be via a liquidating distribution, since the partnership essentially ceases to exist once the building is transferred.  Glad to get that confirmation. 

• Like 1