ATX Community

penalty for late filing - not paying

WITAXLADY

so I did the return - knew they going out of business, have one of the partners personals.. whines as he has no money - soc sec $19,000, her W-2 - $30,000

can't pay partnership return due 9/15 of just $250, partner says he has no money

Tell me I am not filing this

I have warned them - penalty is greater than what they owe me...

He says have Darlene call me- so he can talk me into filing with out paying - he already owes me a retainer of just $200 for IRS trouble, says penalties don't bother him..

tell me not to file without paying! I am so bad at that ! I trust people.. and they stiff me

If you are looking for someone to tell you not to file the return, here I am. Don't file the return - and tell the client he has until noon today to get the payment to you (full payment, this return prep and any outstanding balance).  After noon, the return will go delinquent.  You should have had this conversation yesterday, or even two or three days ago with the noon deadline being on that day. In my office, we hardly ever file returns on the deadline. In fact, I am not even going to be in the office today.

• Like 2

So when they get the penalty letter for $195 per month, per partner, who gets to deal with that?  It takes time to prepare the penalty abatement letter.  Who is going to prepare that?  Who is going to pay for it?  The other partners should be made aware that a big penalty is coming and they should have the opportunity to pay your fee so the return is filed on time.  Let Mr. Cheapskate owe them instead of you, and sidestep the involvement of the IRS.  

• Like 4

thanks you all!!  some great scenes!

so I emailed the wife of the one and said sorry to involve you but you'll end up involved with  the penalty...

she got let go.. - funny she didn't ask me for a job as I offered one to her last spring!  but sold their house in Iowa and will pay both with their personal; taxes!

I did watch these and more - refresh myself - I say I am going to ask for payment for everyone up front this year!! but we decided that would be more of a nightmare..

hard to believe people with refunds do not pick up their taxes!

and gotta love those high % credit cards.. is it legal to give cash discounts?

D