ATX Community

Update CCleaner Now !

Lee B

I didn't copy the whole article, just this announcement from Avast, who makes CCleaner:

"Finally, it is extremely important to us to resolve the issue on customer machines. For consumers, we stand by the recommendation to upgrade CCleaner to the latest version (now 5.35, after we have revoked the signing certificate used to sign the impacted version 5.33) and use a quality antivirus product, such as Avast Antivirus. For corporate users, the decision may be different and will likely depend on corporate IT policies. At this stage, we cannot state that the corporate machines could not be compromised, even though the attack was highly targeted."

Briefly, hackers apparently found a back door in earlier versions of CCleaner, which they used to get into an estimated 2,300,000 systems including many of the best known

tech firms. Will this ever stop ???

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roberts said:

unless you build it yourself

One of my clients *always* builds his own systems, and my husband used to, as well.  Maybe it's time I learned!  You can also pick the highest-reliability components that was instead of getting whatever was cheapest for the manufacturer.  My Dell and HP machines have all had multiple optical drive failures - until I bought my own *good* replacements, that then work without a hiccup.

Current advice from Avast/Piriform:

1.   Piriform said in a blog post its parent company Avast discovered the hack affected two products -- CCleaner v5.33.6162 and CCleaner Cloud v1.07.3191 -- on September 12. The firm has since updated the software.

2.  Piriform advises Windows users to check if they are running compromised versions, delete the app, and install the new safe version