ATX Community

What happened to state EIN's?

Catherine

10 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

I just enter on Line 10 and am done.

Drake requires it to e-file if filling out the detail.

@Catherine , you may already know this:  if you don't need the program to calculate the taxable portion, you can enter it on screen 3 instead, but then you have to make sure that it backs out properly on the states' returns and might require overrides that can cause problems.  I prefer to enter it on the 1099G screen for these reasons.

@jklcpa that was exactly why I wanted to use the 99G screen.  However, after a bit more digging, I found the number!  I can put it in the thread that you linked in a bit; that return is not open at the moment because (of course!) there is information missing.  

Why is it that the really gnarly ones all come in dead last?  I have had two 3115's required (one done, one in the works), rental issues (missing information all over) and too many people with forced sales of piddling-to-not-so-piddling amounts of Alcatel-Lucent who of course have NO clue what their basis might be.  New one was a grantor trust that sent a K-1 (huh?) and only has a small loss and I had to figure out how to handle that one.  Whee! - always *something* new to learn.

Thanks!

Yes, Catherine, please add the info to the thread and I'll update the main post, and your post will bump it back into the current topics. I'll give people time for votes and feedback, and it looks like I'll move that one and the other pinned posts into one posting with links.

CCH requires the EIN if using the 1099 also and efiling.  That's why I use the data entry screen instead of the facsimile 1099 form.  No.  I do not enter it literally on line 10 of the government form itself, but on the line 10 worksheet so the software can calculate the taxable amount (AMT reduces that for many of my clients) and handles it correctly on all the state returns.  Why do you pick on me for saving a few keystrokes?  I'm trying to save other preparers time in these last hectic days.

I also have the Americans in Singapore for a few years with frequent trips to the states and NY rental income so pouring over their calendar.  The couple with two 1099-Cs from their FL rental that fell into a sink hole.  The gal that moved to OH but back again while her mother was ill and then back to OH when the estate closed and now back to CT; always just over a year for each stay; 2016 had her moving to OH in May but no earned income in CT but some tiny investment income waiting on dates to see which state...  And the gal who moved to CA but thinks her W-2 is wrong so spent four days to come up with $5,000 that she wants me to use on the CA return as taxes paid to CT when she returned from CA after becoming a resident to close out the fiscal quarter for her company.  And, the couple both self-employed, one in both NY and CT; wife's new business is skin care -- with inventory.  And the 90-year-old whose prior preparer is in jail for stealing from his clients; she keeps everything but daughter can't find her prior year return in the stacks.  The continuing client who comes in every two years with two sets of returns to prepare.  The woman leaving for Uganda to care for her grandchildren for a few months so I have to finish this weekend.  And our own!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

Why do you pick on me for saving a few keystrokes?  I'm trying to save other preparers time in these last hectic days.

I don't think that quoting you and stating why Catherine's software (Drake) requires that information is picking on you. Since this is an ATX forum, I didn't want all the ATXers jumping in with ATX-related input advice to her.