ATX Community

Turn around time when faxing 2848 or 8821

schirallicpa

I've faxed plenty of these, but usually I have some built in time that I'm not trying to get an answer for someone in a matter of hours.  So I'm wondering if any one kinda knows how fast these actually get processed that I would have any luck accessing accounts within a day or 2.  

You'd think we could submit these electronically by now.

8 minutes ago, samingeorgia said:

What about SS-4's? I have had two back-to-back "sorry we can't process your request" messages and now I'm waiting. And waiting....

Last couple of SS-4 I have prepared, I have received the same message.  I usually fax it over and wait until my client receives the acceptance letter.

I usually wait a week after faxing a 2848, and it's always in the system.  I guess you could try in a couple of days and see.  And Abby, I remember the uproar from the tax professional community after IRS stopped accepting the form electronically.  I think they just said no one used it.  The real reason was that they were afraid some of us might be unscrupulous and enter the client data without the signed form.  (Did anyone on this board ever get audited and asked to produce the signed doc?)  Or worse, maybe there was evidence that the bad guys were using the system but IRS didn't want to raise alarms.  Every time it comes to light that criminals are using IRS systems, e.g., recovery of IP PINs, FAFSA uploads, getting a PIN without last year's AGI, the media report it as a "hack" when it is really caused by the crooks having enough info on the taxpayer to impersonate.  Like all the identifying info Equifax has on each of us such as where we lived or worked or what ice cream flavor we prefer--we still don't know whether or not that non-credit-related info was taken in the data breach.

• Like 1