ATX Community

Hang in there!

Catherine

To all my dear friends here:  hang in there!  We are *almost* done with the extensions.  Remember to take charge of your clients (not vice-versa):  this tax return business was not new this year!  They've known about it since January 1st.  If they are slug-a-beds about getting you information, then they may go past the 10/15 deadline.  Yes, we all want them out of our hair.  Better to go an extra week and keep our blood pressure down.  If the lolly-gaggers go elsewhere next year, celebrate.  If they come back, they now know you won't pull an all-nighter to save *their* bacon and they'll either pay (and not grumble in your hearing) or they'll get their stuff in earlier next year.  

Do your own returns first!  Then go back to the stragglers.  I mean really - *where* are they going to go this late in the year?  The only ones who might take them are likely not competent (or they'd be busy themselves).  Pull the phone plug out of the wall, shut the email program, and do spot checks.  

And just so y'all know, I'm instructing myself first and foremost here.  They do say that the best way to learn is to teach...

:wub:  Hugs (non-RitaB-back-40-style)  to you all!

• Like 10

Well said!

I have one that made two appointments three and four weeks ago and cancelled them at the last minute and finally said he would just drop off his stuff today. I am not in the office today so don’t know if he did. In any case, he will miss the deadline. Another client called yesterday and said he would overnight his Mother’s info (she is now in a nursing home) but said he understands that I will not have that return done by the 15th. There are probably another half a dozen that will go beyond the 15th. Not my problem.

• Like 7

After working 20+ years for a firm/self-employed and working long hours, that time finally came to an end this past summer, I longer work past 4pm :) I put myself first, managed to lose weight, spend more time with my family, the only person I baby sit is myself.  

• Like 8

Thank you Catherine.  Good to know that we all have the same clients.  I no longer call the procrastinators so I'm not going crazy the last few days (if they're late, so be it).  I do the same as rfassett and ILLMAS,  it's me first so I stay sane the last few days.

• Like 3

It's kinda funny now.  After 24 years of this.  We do have the same clients.  I even had a pair come in yesterday who DIY'd and wanted me to affirm that they understood the problem IRS had with Turbo Tax.  Uh, no, you are not even in the same ball park.  I pointed out three errors, one of IRS and two of theirs, without taking a breath, and they had no idea what I meant.  Wanted to know what I would charge to fix this mess that Turbo Tax made.   (That @#$% Turbo Tax).  

I just smiled and started walking them to the door and said, "Oh you can probably handle it.  I'm covered up right now anyway.  Take a shot at it and come back if it you really, really feel like you need me.  Psssshhh, you got this." 

They can't handle it.  They don't got this.  Not in a million years.   It was like the Karma bus let me drive for ten minutes there.   I figure I'll see them again next week. Which is more convenient for me anyway.  :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have a "retread" client couple (I prepared returns for them for 8 years. I did their 2016 return) that chose in 2015 to allow her daughter to do their return.  They received a notice from the School District Tax department.  They called asking for my help with 2015.  I suggested that they go back to the person that prepared the return.  (I can fix the problem with a simple letter)  

I told them I could help them fix the problem, but there would be a charge for my work.

I have not heard a word from them since.  The daughter has no clue how to fix it.  Seems that the Struggle Bus has more passengers.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I had some crowns replace some teeth that had been bonded but were decaying underneath with nothing to put new bonding or fillings on.  Now, days/week or so later, my jaw starts aching and is warm.  Last time I had a crown, infection got trapped inside and they had to remove temporary and do a root canal.  This time, I already have the permanent crowns on.  I have five more returns including my own, granddaughter's 2nd birthday party in PA,  point person for one-day tax seminar next week and then fly to SF for a week of tax classes.  I'm not back until November.  And, I need to do laundry, pack, work with speaker/airport transportation/proofread books/etc. for local seminar.  A year ago I bought every ibuprofen in the hotel gift shop and spent all day in classes holding a cold water bottle against my face and all night sleeping on a bag of ice.  I am not having fun.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

Oh no!  Dental trouble...*shudders*.  You both have my sympathy.  I've had a lot of dental troubles over the years and am a nervous wreck in the chair until I'm numb. The numbing is a big part of my problem because it takes multiple shots and more time for me to get fully numb than the dentist would like.  After each appt, I seem to continue to get more numb when I'm on the way home, which means it is still taking effect after he's finished torturing me.

Fwiw, if you need a root canal after the permanent crown is in place, that can be done through the crown the same as if it is a regular tooth.  At least that is what my dentist told me after my last crown on a tooth that he was kind of worried about. Not exactly the news one wants to hear right after paying a lot of money for a nice new crown.

I know you are busy, but if you think there is infection building in there, please don't wait to be seen. That infection can damage adjacent teeth, can travel along the jaw line, or get into the jawbone itself or other tissues.   *more shuddering here*  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I'm blaming the weather.  My clients have been the worst this year.  I think it's been too nice out here in western NY and they still think it's summer.    They have been slow, and lazy.  I think when it's cold out, people around here are more likely to tend to their paperwork.  

Or maybe I'm just a little more grumbly-mumbly lately......

2001_monsters_inc_010[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Oh no!  Dental trouble...*shudders*.  You both have my sympathy.  I've had a lot of dental troubles over the years and am a nervous wreck in the chair until I'm numb. The numbing is a big part of my problem because it takes multiple shots and more time for me to get fully numb than the dentist would like.  After each appt, I seem to continue to get more numb when I'm on the way home, which means it is still taking effect after he's finished torturing me.

I have a great dentist.  He and I both know that I paid his son's tuition to go dentistry school. :)

Every time I walk into his office we review the rules.  Rule number one - do not hurt Ron!  All other rules - refer to rule number one.  Ever since I mentioned 1-800-break-a-knee to him there has not ever been an issue.  Rule number one has completely been followed.  There is a great big red X on the top of my chart - I am not sure why that is there.

I have a great dentist! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have a great dentist too - bad part is he just retired.  The folks that took over - well, I've seen a couple of hygienists so far - who have all been absolutely terrific.  So this will be the first "dentist" visit.  I hate the numbing; the epinephrine (or whatever) they put in the lidocaine to make it last longer sets of panic attacks - SO not fun.  First time that happened, over a decade ago, I just about crushed the assistant's hand.  It's not *quite* as bad if you know to expect it and just ride it out.

Worst of it right now is my tongue is super-sore from rubbing against the rough edge all night.  And trying, in my sleep, to hold my jaw so my tongue didn't hurt set off a vicious tension headache.  I just e-filed one return.  Am waiting for 8879's on two more, and *one* last bleeping piece of info from the last client who has any hope of being done by the deadline (there are four or five I won't even see until November).

Need to email a tax consult client who was scheduled for 4:30PM today - even if I'm back from the dentist by then, I won't want to talk.  And I'm canceling tonight's meeting, too, again 'cuz I can't talk.  

Hang in there, my friends!  It seems to me that dentists are a bit like tax accountants - we see people who are unhappy and in pain, help them as best we can, and end up learning more about them than maybe we're comfortable with.  But once they like us, they really, really, *really* don't want to switch!

• Like 1

My dentist is also my client!  I loaned him the money to buy his practice when he graduated from Dental school.  He is fantastic at dentistry, but cannot balance a checkbook.  I told him I will handle all the "money" and "taxz" stuff for him and he can handle all my dental work.  We have a pact--he does the teeth, I do the books, and no one gets hurt. :D

• Like 5