ATX Community

Win 10 Update on Tuesday

Lee B

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

The PRO version allows you to turn off auto update.

The less costly versions have autoupdate hard coded in.

Not so.  I have Windows 10 Pro and all I can do is pause the update, and that is not indefinitely.  If you can block updates please tell me how!  Every time a major one comes I end up with something else broke.  Also a note to any who may be running Symantec Disc Encryption software, Windows 10 will not be able to do any major update with the hard drive encrypted.  I have had my hard drive encrypted using Symantec and I kid you not, on the last update to the creator edition it locked my computer down so tight it cost me $450.00 to get it usable again.  Finally updated to the Creator version last week and now I have a printing issue as a result.  Some programs, not all will not print unless I go and find a dll file and end it in the task master.  It has been a royal pain and now another one is coming tomorrow?  I haven't recovered from the last.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

Not so.  I have Windows 10 Pro and all I can do is pause the update, and that is not indefinitely.  If you can block updates please tell me how!  Every time a major one comes I end up with something else broke.  Also a note to any who may be running Symantec Disc Encryption software, Windows 10 will not be able to do any major update with the hard drive encrypted.  I have had my hard drive encrypted using Symantec and I kid you not, on the last update to the creator edition it locked my computer down so tight it cost me $450.00 to get it usable again.  Finally updated to the Creator version last week and now I have a printing issue as a result.  Some programs, not all will not print unless I go and find a dll file and end it in the task master.  It has been a royal pain and now another one is coming tomorrow?  I haven't recovered from the last.

Regarding the encryption, are you saying anyone with Win 10 should not use Symantec Disc Encryption (I think this is the old PGP)?  Is anyone else using Symantec Disc Encryption with Win 10?  Are you using Bit Locker?  I have a Win 8.1 machine using Bit Locker.  I asked Symantec when I first purchased my 8.1 and they said they weren't ready for my HD model.

Anyone using Win 10 with Bit Locker having trouble with updates?  I'm thinking of getting a new computer soon with Win 10 so I am interested in any problems.

• Like 1

I haven't  tried bit locker yet,  but I can tell you first hand Symantec Disc encryption would not allow the update in.  Security patches were OK but I had two brand new machines that wouldn't upgrade to the newest version of Windows 10 and when I finally figured out that the only thing these two machines had in common  was the encryption software, I researched it online and sure enough Windows must have access to the entire hard drive and something in Symantec keeps this from  happening.  They did have a script for the anniversary addition but when mine was trying to update to the creator edition I couldn't find anything.  You can not believe the amount of money this journey has cost me in the last year!

1 hour ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

I haven't  tried bit locker yet,  but I can tell you first hand Symantec Disc encryption would not allow the update in.  Security patches were OK but I had two brand new machines that wouldn't upgrade to the newest version of Windows 10 and when I finally figured out that the only thing these two machines had in common  was the encryption software, I researched it online and sure enough Windows must have access to the entire hard drive and something in Symantec keeps this from  happening.  They did have a script for the anniversary addition but when mine was trying to update to the creator edition I couldn't find anything.  You can not believe the amount of money this journey has cost me in the last year!

Whew.  I think we're approaching too big NOT to fail.  Even when I bought my 8.1 three years ago, Symantec was not ready to use on my HD.  So I used Bit Locker.  I haven't had any problems with updates.  It looks like I'll use Bit Locker on my new computer Win 10.

1 minute ago, Randall said:

Not sure what you're talking about but I think you can just encrypt certain files, can't you?

With Symantec, you can encrypt specific files, specific folders (and everything new put in those folders automatically gets encrypted), specific partitioned drives, or the entire drive.  I was basically wondering if W10 mucks up *all* of that (since folders and files use hard drive space) or if it's specific to the C drive, for example.

3 minutes ago, Catherine said:

With Symantec, you can encrypt specific files, specific folders (and everything new put in those folders automatically gets encrypted), specific partitioned drives, or the entire drive.  I was basically wondering if W10 mucks up *all* of that (since folders and files use hard drive space) or if it's specific to the C drive, for example.

Good question.  I've been using Bit Locker on my 8.1 machine.  But I have my laptop (8.1) encrypted with Symantec.  I have the Symantec software on my office machine.  I like their shredding function of files.

• Like 1

Read a lengthy  IT security article yesterday, which said that a security flaw has been found in one of the predominant chips used in many encryption devices.

In conclusion, the article said, "There is no way to participate in and use modern technology without the risk of being hacked."

• Sad 1