ATX Community

For those of you running your network over wifi...

Abby Normal

Precisely the reason I hard wired my office building when I built it - and we still do not allow wifi on the property.  Some clients and government examiners whine and tell me everyone else has wifi.   I excuse myself and go out the front door then come back and tell them they have the wrong address - this is not "everyone else"!

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Jack from Ohio said:

Hardwire ALL business machines and disable WIFI on all business machines.

Yup.  We don't have it here - the wifi function on the modem is OFF.  People complain; too bad.  It's MY hindquarters on the line if their info gets compromised because of my systems.

And yes - always run multiple wires.

• Like 3

Yes, everyone should be on hardwired access.

Interestingly, when I googled to find more information about the Windows update that is scheduled for tomorrow, I also found articles about Microsoft issuing an emergency update today that already shut down this KRACK attack on systems running any of their OS that are still supported.

I can't see what is coming in yet, but I can tell you that my system is receiving some update now.

• Like 1

I just checked the news on KRACK attacks on Wi FI transmissions.

All operating systems i.e., MacOS, IOS, Windows, Android and Linux are vulnerable.

Android and Linux supposedly are the most vulnerable.

Google is not going to release the first patches until November 6th.

Be safe, minimize your use of Wi Fi in the meantime !

• Like 3

I agree with cbslee and that we should continue with our usual abundance of caution. I don't know why the articles I read said that MS had released and emergency patch today, because the updates that I received late this afternoon were for ancillary programs and the usual database updates for my AV software. 

1 hour ago, ILLMAS said:

So what do you think about government employees that connect via wireless (hotspot) modems? 

I kick them out and tell them to come back when they can do things without connecting to the internet.  If they cannot do that and insist, then I insist that they accept our mailing them copies of paper they request.  Had one that said he would then just go visit the taxpayer.  I told him to go right ahead but before leaving my building give me the number to his supervisor so I can report his insubordination and lack of respect of my POA.  I can be the nicest of guy most of the time - but don't ever challenge me to play hardball - you will usually lose.

PS - it is not written in any of the rules and regulations that I have read that gives anyone in or visiting my office unfettered access to the internet.  The day that happens, I will pull the plug and they can figure it out on their own.

• Like 1