ATX Community

2018 PTIN

JimTaxes

2 hours ago, JimTaxes said:

I logged in at IRS site.. drop down arrow does not have a link for 2018 renewal.. IRS letter from last month though said season opening up for renewal

Did you get the email saying you are eligible for early renewal?  I did.   We got ours today.  I think they are only allowing those that were sent the email to renew in this early period.

Some of us are special I guess.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Haha 1

Catherine, I think some CPE providers stopped reporting to IRS once the courts ruled the agency couldn't require anything of PTIN holders.  The professional tax associations still do, but I wonder about some courses run by CPA boards and CPE mills.

I renewed my PTIN today without problems.  However, when I tried to take our IRS liaison's advice and change my email address to something I will only use for IRS (to avoid every CPE provider sending me offers and crooks pretending to be clients sending me links to their documents to my work email), I discovered I could not change it.  I could change everything else, including my name!, but not my email.  I will contact the liaison on Monday.

I usually renew the PTIN in late Dec.  No point paying before I have to.  Since there is no charge this year, there was no downside to renewing early.  I am wondering, though, if EA renewals will go up in price.  When IRS starting charging for PTINs, NAEA went to bat for us saying it was ridiculous for us to have to pay twice for background, CPE,  and tax compliance checks.  IRS responded by lowering EA renewal fees by A LOT.  I just renewed this year so am good for three years.  Anyone who has to renew soon please let us know if the fees go way up.

• Like 2

Sara, I did manage to change my email to a new one that I will only use for PTIN. It was not as straight forward as I expected. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but it was not under manage profile. It was in some place that we set up at the very beginning with PTIN. I know that it worked, because I received emails from PTIN already. I'm sorry that I am not more helpful, but I'm buried trying to get caught up for my husband's three dr appointments this week and my mother's surgery