ATX Community

Finally got around to writing a script to enter my password in ATX

Abby Normal

It's an AutoHotkey script. I've heard of mouse move/jiggle apps that are supposed to keep computers from sleeping or turning off screens during long videos, but I'm not sure it would work with ATX though. I'm not an advance AutoHotkey script writer, but I'd guess it could be done by activating the ATX window and having it do some small task like Ctrl-s for save. That would kill two birds with one stone, wouldn't it? People around here would pay good money for that script!

• Like 1

I have the same "password-entry- every-half-hour problem" with my software (ProSeries) also.  I downloaded a free softwware program called "typertask."  It lets you assign a key or group of keys to any word or message.  I assigned my password to the F12 key and now all I do is just press F12 and it enters my password.  When I change the password, I change it in typertask.  It has worked for me very well and the typertask program has a very small footprint.

I don't want my password to be anywhere on my computer.  If the wrong people get into the system, the password is there for their use. For this reason I won't use a password manager either.  There is no reason to believe these cloud managers can't be hacked (or that anything can't be hacked for that matter).  The way I get around the program timing out is to periodically click on something, anything, so it registers use.  When I have lunch or am working on something on paper for an extended time, I leave my email page open and every so often just click on a message.  There, you caught me eating lunch at my desk.

I do what many experts recommend--keep my user IDs and passwords on index cards.  Can't be hacked, and the security system would sound way before a crook found my stash of cards.  Note I didn't say I leave passwords on sticky notes on the computer screen.  Although my son, who works in IT, just gave me a password to a shared grocery store loyalty card:  1234.  Haven't had anyone try to use my "deals" yet, but I'm sure it's coming.  I'll blame him for lax security.

My computer is encrypted and password protected. The script that I use is huge and very cryptic. It does not identify ATX at all.

I do put passwords on sticky notes on my computer screen BUT they are partially obscured with asterisks and one asterisk may replace any number of characters. It just jogs my memory as to what the password is. For example if the password was Sc00bysn@cks, my note would be S*s*s.

In general, I don't mind the 90 day change of password requirement, except that I will have to remember it for every year.  When I have to go into a prior year and do a return, I have to remember what the last password was on that year.   It would be nice if there was a way to link all my years of ATX software to the same password because in 3 or 4 years, it is going to be impossible to keep track of the last changed password on those years.  I wonder if the password can be controlled at the ATX site under our account and linked to all years that we register on their site.  Then we could change it at the Account page every 90 days for all years of software?   I bet I am just dreaming.

Tom
Modesto, CA