ATX Community

EA renewal - anyone else?

Catherine

I got an email from "[email protected]" telling me it's time to renew my EA credential.  But it tells me to go to www dot pay dot gov (yes, link goes there) to process my renewal.  This is rather different from what I've done in the past (or at least, my memory of that) and was wondering if anyone else has gotten this same email.  It seems legit, and seems to match what he IRS now wants - but they've had so many phishing scams and other similar problems that I'm reluctant to go there without someone else saying "yup; it's fine, I just did it."

Catherine, good for you for being skeptical.  Since the IRS seldom puts links in emails, I also distrust.  I usually go to irs.gov and log in there and get done what I need to do.  Lately, though, the website is strange.  Sometimes it shows the places I might want to go, sometimes not.  The new interface does not have a link for "tax pros" like it used to, at least none that I can find.  Last time I needed eservices i googled it.  Anyone else experiencing this problem? I use Firefox.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SaraEA said:

Anyone else experiencing this problem? I use Firefox.

No problem with Firefox for me just now, and I renewed using it about a week ago. It was as Lynn said, with a click button for Tax Pros in the upper right of the home page of irs.gov. Clicking that, one of the click buttons on the next page that comes up includes one for the PTIN system saying that it is "online".

Fwiw, I don't trust any links and renewed by directly typing in irs.gov and going thru the system from there. 

15 hours ago, Catherine said:

Thank you, Lynn and cbslee!  I will do that paperwork on Monday; they will want my CPE records and those are at the office.

What do you have to include?  In past years, we just put in the hours we had completed each year.  Is it different this time around?  Are they asking for provider numbers or anything like that?

On a side note, I noticed that my CPE records at the PTIN site were all correct and up to date for the last two years.  The year before that was missing some hours. 

Tom
Modesto, CA

15 hours ago, jklcpa said:

directly typing in irs.gov

That was one of the flags for me; the link was to PAY.gov, not IRS.gov.  

They tell us "watch out!!!!!!!" and then send us weird links with strange names... *what* are they thinking?  Oh, wait - that word, "thinking" - I don't think they know what it means.

• Like 1

The IRS knows what CPE you have. Any CPE you get is supposed to be submitted by the provider - not you. If I recall correctly, last year I had to tell them how many hours I got per year though. 

Checked into the tax pro side and they have a full recap of what I earned this year. I always like to do the max amount I can that first year of my 3 year cycle. Now the next two I just HAVE to do 17 hours each.