ATX Community

Office 365

Randall

Anyone using Office 365?  I'm planning to purchase a new computer for my office.  I have a laptop I use mostly at home and I'm not replacing that.  I currently have Office Pro 2013 on both my office desktop and my laptop.  I'm thinking it would be better and cheaper to subscribe to Office 365 than to get the latest Office Pro 2016 on my HD.  Any pros and cons on Office 365?

I use an old version of Office but the only thing that keeps me from using Libre Office (again) is graphing in spreadsheets. The financial planning software I have uses some pie charts and such - Libre doesn't do that well at all although oddly it USED to handle it well. Otherwise, it's free and terrific for normal usage.

If you already own Office Pro 2013 why not just install that on your new machine?  I have two machines, one is still running Office 2003, the other one Office 2007.  I see no reason to upgrade.  In fact, I prefer the 2003 version as there are all kinds of templates etc available as part of the program that have to be obtained online-only (many with fees!) in 2007.  I have no doubt that kind of more-money-for-less-utility nonsense has only increased with later versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

If you already own Office Pro 2013 why not just install that on your new machine?  I have two machines, one is still running Office 2003, the other one Office 2007.  I see no reason to upgrade.  In fact, I prefer the 2003 version as there are all kinds of templates etc available as part of the program that have to be obtained online-only (many with fees!) in 2007.  I have no doubt that kind of more-money-for-less-utility nonsense has only increased with later versions.

Are you allowed to do this when it's registered with the old machine?

3 hours ago, Don in Upstate NY said:

Buy Office 2016 when it goes on sale.  I got the full version a few weeks ago for $81.44 (including bit-coin exchange fee.)  Today it's on sale for $50 from  https://indigosoftwarecompany.com/products/microsoft-office-professional-plus-2016-1-pc-full-retail-version-download

How can they sell this?  If it is a download version, how do they get this and resell?  or whatever? 

You are allowed multiple installations. If you are over the limit, they give you a number to call. For 2003 we have about 20 computers running our 1 copy.

Wife bought 2013 from a work program for REALLY cheap - like $30. We have multiple computers running and I was told another would require calling. That computer just gets Libre.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Randall said:

Are you allowed to do this when it's registered with the old machine?

How can they sell this?  If it is a download version, how do they get this and resell?  or whatever? 

Yes, you can move a registration to a new machine.  Think about it:  you bought the license to use the software.  It's registered to you, not to the particular hardware.  What if your machine got a virus and you had to start from scratch?  You re-install all your old programs, and the license gets transferred to the new machine.  In fact, you can usually install on multiple machines at once; the limits are (usually) on how many installations may run at once and frequently that number is one.  So you can have the same license on your desktop at home, your desktop at work, and your laptop - as long as you use the program on one machine at a time.

As for buying new software cheap - I do it all the time.  Best way to buy Adobe Acrobat, or Quicken, or any of a number of other programs, is to go to eBay and find a NEW, REGISTERABLE copy (that bit is the key) of last year's version (or the year before, or the year before that).  Example:  Client needed QB, but also needed cheap.  Told her to go to eBay and buy a two-year-old new copy of QB desktop; this year's version was hundreds of dollars, the two-year-old version was less than $100; she was thrilled.  QB old versions - even brand-new - sell cheap because they stop support for payroll after three years, and sometimes the bank feeds won't work.  Well, she doesn't have a payroll; not an issue for her - and some of the bank feeds won't work with brand-new versions, depending on the bank - but almost all have web connect download files available, so do those instead.  Heck, I still have (on an older machine) and installation of QB2007 that I sometimes have to pull out for one client's file.  It works, they do payroll through a service, why pay for a not-needed upgrade?  

• Like 2