ATX Community

1099 / W-2 program

TAG

1 hour ago, BulldogTom said:

It is much less stressful to pay the $9 or whatever

So once again the service effectively shifts costs from themselves, to us.  You, in this particular instance.  Yes, worth it (sometimes, at least) when WE choose - but royally annoying when it gets shoved down our throats.

[NOT meant to be political!!!  It's just factual that they save money by shifting costs onto us; no commentary on why or how or who's to blame.]

18 minutes ago, Catherine said:

So once again the service effectively shifts costs from themselves, to us.  You, in this particular instance.  Yes, worth it (sometimes, at least) when WE choose - but royally annoying when it gets shoved down our throats.

I respectfully disagree because, as you said, the IRS didn't shift the cost so nothing was "shoved down our throats" with this. Some make a choice to purchase forms for a price rather than wait for the free ones from the Service, and some make another choice of paper-filing over e-filing of the forms.

I remember the ATX program being very easy to prepare and e-file those forms, easier than e-filing the 1040s.  Depending on the ATX package purchased, the W-2/1099 prep may be included with that, and if purchasing a package that doesn't have it then there are the other programs and online sites that were mentioned earlier in this topic. 

Personally, I've never had an issue with receiving the free ones from the IRS.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

I respectfully disagree

OK, Judy - but I will respectfully disagree with you, because one way to cost-shift without being blatant is to be un-accommodating and dense.  Eventually people give up trying and go buy for themselves.  Maybe it's not at the level of "hey everybody, play dumb and maybe they'll go buy forms at Staples" but there certainly is no indication of the service trying very hard at all to help US out these days.