ATX Community

2015 Form 1040X - has not received check yet

schirallicpa

Filed the 2015 1040X in August.  Received CP21 Oct 16 telling him should receive check in 2-3 weeks.  Still hasn't received check.  He and I both have tried to call.  I cannot believe how many times I have been disconnected from priority line!  Anyway - wondered what people thought - or if people had any other means of contacting IRS!!

3 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

Filed the 2015 1040X in August.  Received CP21 Oct 16 telling him should receive check in 2-3 weeks.  Still hasn't received check.  He and I both have tried to call.  I cannot believe how many times I have been disconnected from priority line!  Anyway - wondered what people thought - or if people had any other means of contacting IRS!!

Very frustrating and similar to a couple issues I have been dragging on since April.  I started a thread below proposing that long overdue issues be reported as estimated tax prepayments for the following year.  Received lots of response that you might want to read, including an idea from Max about Form 3911 if the refund has been approved.  I decided against the strategy, because it amounts to improper reporting.

I have pretty well confirmed that the people at the IRS are shoving refunds aside and processing paperwork where there is a balance due.  And since they are not accountable for anything, there's nothing to stop that practice.  One possible strategy is to dry up their withholding or stop paying estimated tax until things are straightened out.  There might be a slight underpayment penalty for this, but in most cases, the clients will be willing to incur this.  As long as the taxpayer and not the government is left holding the bag, the situation for these long overdue refunds will not get better.  If you direct your client to "dry up" the money flow to the govt, please caution to not be in an unfavorable due position when the refund comes, and react accordingly.

IRS can drive me nuts at times.

Sent in the 1310 to get a refund on a deceased client. IRS sent a letter wanting a corrected 1310 which we did immediately. Since March they've had the corrected 1310 but for some reason decided to just keep working off the original. They don't know why they've been doing that but as of last Friday changed to the corrected version.