ATX Community

Filing 1099s for 2016. Can they still efile in Dec??

schirallicpa

20 hours ago, schirallicpa said:

I have client that filed tax return in October, and is just now getting 1099 info to me for 2016.  Can we still efile those???

I took this to mean the client's 2016 income tax return was e-filed in October, and now the client needs to issue 2016 1099-Misc forms.  I think the question is can 2016 Forms 1099-Misc be e-filed right now, even though IRS is not taking individual tax returns electronically from Nov 18 - late Jan?  I honestly don't know if they can or not, so I don't know why I am contributing here, except I have a weird need to know if the question was understood and answered. 

• Like 2

Based on this status page for the IRS FIRE system, I'd say that e-filing of 1099s at this time is not available again until after Jan 8th. Whether using ATX, some other software, or online, don't they all ultimately go through the FIRE system or not?  For example, Drake creates a file but I enter my own transmitter number and log in directly to the FIRE system and upload the file. With ATX software it's more seamless, but aren't they acting as the transmitter and still going through FIRE since they aren't going through MeF?

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/filing-information-returns-electronically-fire

• Like 2