ATX Community

E-Services users now register through Secure Access

Elrod

Starting Monday, Dec. 10, all users of the IRS’s e-Services platform must register through a new ID-proofing process called Secure Access.

Any e-Services user who has not previously created a Secure Access account through Get Transcript Online, IP PIN tool, View Balance or by exception processing must validate their identity through this process. This also includes all TIN Matching users, and users who received Letter 5903 last December and authenticated by telephone.

This new process is mandatory on the part of the IRS or its online users, the agency stressed.

https://www.accountingtoday.com/news/irs-e-services-users-now-register-through-secure-access

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/e-services-online-tools-for-tax-professionals

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jklcpa said:

Thank you, Lynn.  I do have MS Edge that I could use without having to download another browser. 

Just a side note on Edge ---- it does not always "load" all data.   I had a site where numerous sections were blank or only partially shown using Edge and if using IE 11 or Chrome, the full site would "show" (all opened in different windows but at same time for my "test").       I am leary of Edge and even IE 11 at times, that is why unless specified (requested for instance from CCH for ATX), I now use Google Chrome for most reviewing online.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If any of you complete the process, would you share your experience?   I want to go update my registration but I would like someone else to be the beta tester and let me know if it is going to be a frustration or if there are things that I can do ahead of time to make the process smoother.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 4

Tom,

I tried logging on today and first of all it said my password was wrong, which it was not as I just reset it and know for a certainty it was right.  So I had to reset my password again.  The entire system is sooooooo slow in loading any page that I tried so much so to the point I gave up.  I will be moving in a few weeks and was hoping to see how to update all my info before the move comes, but couldn't because of the slow nature.  I think they are still working out kinks.

• Like 2

I contacted the e-services # to assist in getting me through the registration process and found that once again IRS doesn't tell you the whole story upfront in encouraging you to register. Remember - I'm not a daily/weekly e-services user - so those of you who have already registered don't need to pay attention to this -  (For once I must compliment IRS - I only had to wait 5 minutes)

IRS requires use of Internet Explorer as opposed to Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox

When requiring a cell phone number to provide you the access information- IRS DOES NOT accept cell phones, even in your own name, that are PREPAID minutes - only cell phones paid to a telephone company like Sprint or Verizon or the variety of others.

So be wary of these restrictions ahead of time for those of you who haven't attempted to take the plunge yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually, I had difficulty with most of the information they requested and wound up having to get the activation code mailed to me by snail mail.  The first credit card I tried to use was in just my name, but in fairness had only been open since August.  The one in my husband's name as primary, with me as a user worked fine.  Then when I got to the cell phone, which is with Verizon, and has been in my name since 199?, that didn't work at all.  Not sure what the problem was but I am patiently waiting for the code in the mail. 

• Like 3

My cell with AT&T in my name since the beginning won't work for the IRS:  IRS says AT&T tells them it is NOT in my name; AT&T says it IS in my name.  Until that is solved, I refuse to unfreeze my credit report, which is also a requirement to register.  And, I have no Forms W-2 nor 1099-MISC in my social security number, also a requirement.  (I am not an employee but do have 1099s in my EIN, not SSN, and one that should be in my SSN for farm rent, but he makes a different typo every year!)  I will have to drive an hour to an IRS office with lots of ID to prove who I am.  Maybe in January.  Or, maybe never.  This takes entirely too much time.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

Oh this sounds like an ABSOLUTE disaster.  Like Lion, I have NO W-2's or 1099-MISC's in my own ssn.  Plus I have to unfreeze my credit (frozen everywhere, thank you security breaches) and install internet exploder which I (a) detest and (b) utterly distrust. 

Can I just go hide under my desk until they get a clue?!

• Like 2

I'm on the fence and may skip this altogether because I'm now dreaming up all kinds of problems:   I have a W-2 from "my employer" that is my same name plus some initials (my corporation with a 21-year tax filing history, but that is probably irrelevant to the doofus on the phone).  Then there's the same cell phone account in my name for over 25 years but have an older phone, and husband just upgraded fully and so I'm not sure if the main name has changed now since he got a price for his service that adds me for $10 more, but the bill is still addressed to me.  Again, that might cause more Doofus confusion!

. . . and then there's the issue of not wanting to install Internet Exploder!   haha, love that one!  :lol:

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Lion EA said:

My cell with AT&T in my name since the beginning won't work for the IRS:  IRS says AT&T tells them it is NOT in my name; AT&T says it IS in my name.  Until that is solved, I refuse to unfreeze my credit report, which is also a requirement to register.  And, I have no Forms W-2 nor 1099-MISC in my social security number, also a requirement.  (I am not an employee but do have 1099s in my EIN, not SSN, and one that should be in my SSN for farm rent, but he makes a different typo every year!)  I will have to drive an hour to an IRS office with lots of ID to prove who I am.  Maybe in January.  Or, maybe never.  This takes entirely too much time.

Wait, the IRS wants me to unfreeze my credit reports for them? That's highly unlikely to happen.

• Like 3

I was getting "technical problem" which was actually that they could not verify my SSN with a credit agency because of my freezes.

I'm reluctant to unfreeze, but it is temporary until someone -- hopefully the IRS and no one else -- checks or you can set a time limit.  Still not going to do it until other things are cleared up.  For instance, I always fail those knowledge based questions, because a lot of my ex's and his second wife's info is mixed in with mine.  I don't know what street they lived on in Syracuse, and they're not about to tell me!  (My kid was way too young to remember.)

Our Mastercard changed our address to TX at someone's request and notified Experian who notified all the agencies.  We had trouble getting anyone to talk to us, because we couldn't provide them with a "current" address.  Eventually, the fraud unit at Elan Bank or where ever the card came from tried to fix the reports, but they didn't change our address back.  Our new cards went to the thief in TX !!  We are having all that trouble with our accounts frozen.  I do not want to unfreeze, even for a minute.

• Like 1

I just finished going thru the update website. This was very easy due to personal identity proofing I did it few months back when got IRS letter.

If you have completed Identity proofing sometime in summer when IRS mailed letter, this is connected to it and all I have to just change password and few times IRS sent code texted to my cell phone. I am alive on new EService.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

My was done last summer (actually by mistake --- as i was just renewing Transcript) but all seems to go well. Logged in yesterday evening and was able to see my informational records and get to Transcripts without any hitches.  NOTE: Once registered, you can have the "codes" for each subsequent log-in sent to ANY cell phone. The one I have is mine but NOT listed to me, etc., but the codes are sent there.

Here is the latest Blurb from IRS on changing:

. Review Information about Your e-Services Account and Secure Access: How to Register for Certain Online Self-Help Tools. You should also visit FAQs about e-Services and Secure Access. These pages will help you register online.

2. Access your account by going to your normal login page and entering your e-Services username. You will receive a prompt that will direct you through the new registration process.

3. Call the e-Help desk at 1-888-841-4648 (select your language, then prompt 1 and remain on the line until an assistor picks up) 7:30 a.m. to 7 p.m. (EST) if you are an existing e-Services user who cannot register online via Secure Access and need exception processing.

• You must have access to your email account and your tax return information, including related information documents.  
  • On Saturday, Dec. 16, assistors will be available 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. EST.

You must attempt to register online before contacting the help desk. Here are a few other caveats:

• If you require an activation code by mail, it may take up to 10 business days to receive this code, which will enable you to complete the registration process.
  • If you previously registered through Secure Access (via Get Transcript, IP PIN, etc.) you only need to enter your e-Services username and your Secure Access password. Do not make more than 2 attempts. If you can’t remember your password, use the “forgotten password” feature.
  • If you have obtained a new mobile phone number, the vendor may not be able to validate it. You should request an activation code by mail.
  • After you have requested an activation code by mail either online or through an assistor, do not continue attempts to register online.
  • Like 2

I got a letter and found out about the IRS needing to access my credit report, authentication questions when phoning in, etc., all things that made me wait.  Not going to get done before New Year's and then not unless the roads are clear and I have time to drive the one-hour one-way trip to an IRS office to prove who I am!

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:13 PM, B. Jani said:

I just finished going thru the update website. This was very easy due to personal identity proofing I did it few months back when got IRS letter.

If you have completed Identity proofing sometime in summer when IRS mailed letter, this is connected to it and all I have to just change password and few times IRS sent code texted to my cell phone. I am alive on new EService.

Hope this helps.

Now I'm wondering where my ID proof was last summer.  I went thru online steps and I'm waiting for an "activation code" to come thru snail mail during the busiest postal time of the year.  Meanwhile I have a client that would really like me to get online for them!!

• Like 1