ATX Community

Your Assistant

FDNY

I went to a retirement party last night for a friend who retired from the fire department as a deputy chief.  I was really proud of him because he was one of my rookies (probie) when he got to my firehouse.  He is also a CPA and has a tax practice where he says he does close to 500 returns. I always found that amazing as there are only so many hours in a day.  He claims by using Ultra Tax it is easily done because the program is so good.  I know his wife is his assistant.

So last night I meet his wife for the first time and I asked if he pays her.  Said, No!  Last year he made me take the HRB course and now he has me doing input.  Now I can’t wait to get home to tell my wife, wish me luck.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Most of my career was in busy houses in Brooklyn and the South Bronx.  But I remember many a night when it was quiet in the winter that after about 3am I would manually prepare one of the guy's returns.  Talk about on the job training, I wouldn't give that up for the world.  And I must tell you, there were plenty of imaginative deductions these guys would come up with or maybe it was the $ amounts, I guess things haven't changed.  When I think of charging $20 for a basic return in the 70s and 80s (of course these guys were like brothers to me) I am amazed how far that $20 went the next day.  I don't miss getting up for fires in the middle of the night, now I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have had a firefighter as a client for nearly 20 years who trusts me implicitly (after bailing her out of deep doo doo with a business misadventure).  I had to prove to her with documentation about the disallowed deductions she had been taking and 'all the other guys take them' stories.  I just told her, I wouldn't take them no matter what the others did or didn't do.  She reluctantly agreed and no longer even tries that now. 

• Like 3

I'll never forget when many a firefighter or police officer decided they would become ministers and had their church in the living room with their kids as their communicants.   One of the guys asked me to accompany him on an audit.  We sat down and the big burly auditor with hair growing out of his ears and nose just shook his head and said, "I wish you never got into this."  My friend said nothing and I just asked if anything could be done about the penalty and interest.   Everyone was happy at that point.  I'm sure IRS went after all the fire eating preachers that year.  

• Like 2