ATX Community

Date for SCH A to be ready for E-file?

Robin

Huh? If they are already divorced - the main consideration is "who do the children live with" for the exemptions. Has nothing to do with itemizing or not. 

If she's the custodial parent - she's the one who rightfully claims them, unless she signs Form 8332 releasing them to ex - which, based on your post - I doubt she'd do.

I realize that Evan, but she is the custodial parent, no question, but has allowed the spouse to take 1 of 2 children in the past when they spent ample time with the other parent. In 2017 that no longer was the case, and she doesn't want to take the chance of him claiming the child as he had in the past. You know how it is with divorced couples. She legitimately is entitled to both exemptions in 2017 and doesn't want to go through the hassle of proving it to IRS in the event he files first.

• Like 3

"In 2017 that no longer was the case, and she doesn't want to take the chance of him claiming the child as he had in the past."

Robin - you DIDN'T state that in your original post - that issue she has to work out with the ex. STILL has nothing to do with itemizing.

Skipping facts in a post to get an answer you're looking for is very deceiving.

Isn't there a release schedule in the ATX knowledgebase or somewhere?  I use different software, but just checked on Schedules A & C to make sure I can e-file -- and discovered that CT is not in my release from this weekend !!  Need to go back in to check on that release date as well as if NY is ready.  (My clients have been getting antsy, and I've been procrastinating since we're waiting on forms anyway.  I'm gonna regret that soon!)