ATX Community

Back to back IRS audit

ILLMAS

• 2 weeks later...

Years ago, I had the "pleasure" of being audited.  Because I took bad advice from three (3) separate CPA's from across the country, I had to pay and received my letter for the next year shortly after.  After seeing exactly how the audits were performed my first trip, the second trip I went in and had a 1040 with Schedule C, etc. audit with almost every line scrutinized thoroughly.  I was in and out in fifteen minutes with orders to go back home and tell my husband (it was his business) that if he didn't take me out to eat that she....well, let's just say, IRS employees are humans too....she was going to come kick his a** back to Baton Rouge. 

She told me I probably wouldn't get another letter as I got back a refund ($7.32......she kept begging me to think of anything I forgot to put on the second return when I initially filed it). So maybe getting a small refund on the next audit will help do the trick.  Someone really needs his a## kicked for having to go back 5 more times after the first audit!

If I had a client who was audited 6 times, I think that client would be looking for someone else to prepare his return!  (You're either a kind soul or your "client" looks back at you in the mirror every time you look.)

Take care,

Cathy

• Like 2

Any audit that reveals more than $10k unreported income will automatically open up succeeding years.  The taxpayer probably kept reporting morning trips to the coffee place as "meals and entertainment," family vacations as "travel," had no logs to substantiate mileage, put the whole family's cell phone bill on the business, made $4k in noncash contributions every year, you get the picture.  Reason why he kept doing it is he wasn't caught yet.  Once IRS went back and discovered the crap, they had reason to just keep on auditing.

• Like 3

On 2/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, ILLMAS said:

Has someone here been successful and in stopping back to back audits?  I have a client that has been audited for 2010, 11, 12, 13 & 14 and now 2015. 

Tell your client to clean up his act!  That will eventually stop the audits.

Be sure to increase your fees for representing him SUBSTANTIALLY this time, and again the next time.

• Like 4