ATX Community

Program Closing

Randall

One of my users is experiencing a computer shutdown when she attempts to send an efile.  It had been working properly on her second attempt after the shutdown, but tonight she has tried 3 times (restarting, logging into computer, restarting, logging into ATX) to get an efile to go through, with a computer shutdown each time.  Any ideas what could be causing this?  Has anyone else experienced this version of the shutdown?  It's a new computer this year, Windows 10.  She's been with me for the past 8 years and knows how to use ATX.  She doesn't have very many clients, but she's just starting to get busy.  I've efiled over 60 without a problem so far this year.  She's only efiled 8 so far.

13 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Yeah, I don't like that kind of crapware running on my computers. I always firing up Autoruns to see what I can disable.

Abby, how do you find out what is on autorun?  And is there a way in Windows 10 to prompt me before installing updates?  I've looked around for this and can't seem to find it.

Windows only lets you see a few programs that autorun when windows starts. In task manager, there is a startup tab where you can disable/enable these programs from autostarting.

Autoruns is a Microsoft sanctioned program that lets you see everything that starts automatically. You can search for things like Adobe or Intuit to turn off all the crap you don't need running constantly. Your computer will start faster and have fewer conflicts. If you don't what it is, you should probably leave it alone or search the web for it to help you decide if you need it running or not.

There is a windows startup folder at:

C:\Users\[Username]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

which is useful for pasting shortcuts into for programs you want to run at startup, that don't have a setting for that.

Rabbit hole warning: I run a very old program that still works on Win8.1 called StartupMonitor, that's only available on the Wayback Machine and a few other download sites.  It runs automatically at startup and prompts you to allow or disallow anything a program (I'm looking at you Intuit.) tries to make run automatically without asking you (How rude!).

• Like 1

Also, when you install a new printer, ignore the warnings to not connect the data cable. Printer companies want all this crap software running on your computer. Just connect it and when windows detects it, it will install a driver for you, or you can browse the CD that came with the printer and find the driver file there. Although you need to be a bit tech saavy to know which folder on the CD to use. But the windows driver will normally be fine, and most likely come from the printer manufacturer anyway.

• Like 2

Clearing print jobs is easy. The cache/queue, not so much:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-remove-stuck-print-job-windows-10

https://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/how-to-forcefully-clear-all-jobs-from-a-print-queue/

But if you create a batch file to do it, and put a shortcut on your desktop to the batch file, you'd be set.