ATX Community

Program Closing

Randall

The zip code crash was a problem until I found out how to remedy that.  I haven't had any issues in fixed assets but mine will randomly crash about once a day during the printing process.  When this happens I can't re-open the software without first restarting the computer.  Very frustrating.

13 hours ago, gfizer said:

The zip code crash was a problem until I found out how to remedy that.  I haven't had any issues in fixed assets but mine will randomly crash about once a day during the printing process.  When this happens I can't re-open the software without first restarting the computer.  Very frustrating.

I'm curious what the fix was for the zip code crash problem.  It began happening to me this morning.  So frustrating!!

9 minutes ago, cpabsd said:

I'm curious what the fix was for the zip code crash problem.  It began happening to me this morning.  So frustrating!!

1 minute ago, TAXMAN said:

I too would be interested in this fix.

Find and delete the following file on your computer:  C:\Users\{User Name}\AppData\Local\Temp\Sfs.Cache\ZipcodeData

Once you've deleted the file close and re-open your software and you should be good to go.  Keep the file name handy because I have found I have to repeat the process every few days.  Hope this helps

We print all 4 packets (as needed) to PDF then print from PDFs as needed:

Filing: personal property returns for business
Client: estimated vouchers & letters/K1s for business
Preparer: complete return (except forms printed in other packets)
Custom: efile signature forms, engagement letter, payment vouchers, bank info page for signature

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 7:41 PM, gfizer said:

Are you still having this problem?  It's happening with me now.  Just started yesterday.

Yes, I updated.  Most of the time the program doesn't close, it just freezes.  I went to ATX support, used the chat option.  Was told to uninstall and reinstall, then load my backup file.  But first set my security to not block anything ATX and see if that works.  That was Wednesday.  I decided to just restart my computer and everything worked well the rest of the day and Thursday.  But today, I'm getting several freeze ups.

1 hour ago, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

Mine freezes occasionally when I enter the officers salary in the detail section (1120S) of 1120-E.  Luckily all other info entered prior to that had been saved.  I start it again and then all goes ok......until the next return.

Yeah, I've had that a lot over the years. I can almost always x out and keep rolling... but not always.

12 hours ago, SaraEA said:

Abby, isn't it a bit, um, dangerous, to use a computer without security software running?

It depends on the user, but in this case it's just an experiment to determine the cause of a problem. It should be a short term experiment. But I disable my security software for installs and downloads on a regular basis. My antivirus lets me choose to disable for 10 minutes, in case I forget to re-enable it.

I wanted to wait a couple of days before commenting.  I have Norton.  I set it to Quiet Mode when ATX is open.  My understanding is that the anti-virus protection is still working in Quiet Mode, but some of the background processes are stopped and notifications are stopped.  I haven't had any freeze ups the past two days so maybe that was the problem.  I did have a closing while I was in a return trying to print a high number of forms checking them off.  This return had a higher number of forms than the average return.  The program closed, I couldn't re-open until I restarted the computer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Randall said:

I did have a closing while I was in a return trying to print a high number of forms checking them off.  This return had a higher number of forms than the average return.  The program closed, I couldn't re-open until I restarted the computer.

That's been a recurring problem for some users for  the last 2 or 3 years. Basically due to sloppy programming, the ATX program fills up your print cache with garbage.

When your print cache overflows, the program crashes. By rebooting your computer your print cache is cleared allowing the program to work again.

If you know how, you can clear your print cache without rebooting.

• Like 1