ATX Community

Records Release Form

Yardley CPA

Do you require a client to sign a records release form prior to disclosing any information, at their request, to a third party?  I have not had that request made of me in the past but since I will be enacting a rate increase for 2018, I want to be prepared if a client chooses to go elsewhere.  Besides a copy of the actual return(s) and depreciation schedules, what other information do you normally release? 

I came across this example on the AICPA website and wanted to obtain your thoughts/suggestions:

CONSENT TO DISCLOSURE OF TAX RETURN INFORMATION

Consent A

Federal law requires this consent form be provided to you. Unless authorized by law, we cannot disclose your tax return information to third parties for purposes other than the preparation and filing of your tax return without your consent. If you consent to the disclosure of your tax return information, Federal law may not protect your tax return information from further use or distribution.

You are not required to complete this form to engage our tax return preparation services. If we obtain your signature on this form by conditioning our tax return preparation services on your consent, your consent will not be valid. If you agree to the disclosure of your tax return information, your consent is valid for the amount of time that you specify. If you do not specify the duration of your consent, your consent is valid for one year from the date of signature.

Please complete: (To be completed by the taxpayer.)

Purpose for disclosing information: _____________________________________

Name and address to whom the information is being disclosed:

Duration of consent: _________________________________

I, ______________________________________, authorize (name of accounting firm/preparer) to disclose to ________________________________ my tax return information for 20___.

Signature: ______________________________________________ Date: _______________

If you believe your tax return information has been disclosed or used improperly in a manner unauthorized by law without your permission, you may contact the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) by telephone at 1-800-366-4484, or by email to: [email protected].

1 hour ago, Medlin Software said:

Unless court order, I only give records to the client, so they can do what they wish with them.  Solves the mortgage writers fishing me for information to put some of the liability on me...

I do exactly the same as Medlin Software.

I send/give NO information to anyone but the client.  PERIOD.  

If you send information, even with the signed consent form, and something goes bad with their dealings down the road, you have just inserted yourself smack dab in the middle.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jack from Ohio said:

I send/give NO information to anyone but the client.  PERIOD

No exceptions.  Have lost clients that  have all of their "stuff" including working papers.  Their comment, "They want to talk to you."  No way!!!

• Like 5

I give returns to the clients only.

If I thought their leaving might be contentious, I'd have a cover listing the documents and ask for a signature, might do that with a divorcing couple too.  And, if the client has "lost" their tax folder too many times, I might charge for duplicates.  But, I've not done either of those so far.

I give to the client to do with what he wants.  But, their tax folder includes everything, so they really have no reason to ask me for duplicates.

• Like 3