ATX Community

3115 at the sale of rental property?

Possi

Clients sold a rental property that had been depreciated at $192k, which was a tax assessment value and not the true basis. They were new to me last year, and I followed the prior returns for depreciation. This didn't come up until they sold it. The real basis should have been $232K purchase price plus $6856 closing costs at purchase.

I believe to correct this, I must do the 3115. But I want to know if there is an adjustment I can make on the tax return in the year of sale (2017) without the 3115.

I would do the 3115.  Missed depreciation is an automatic acceptance so no need to fill out all 100 pages.  The reason is that they should have taken more depreciation in prior years, so claimed higher income than they should have.  In the year of sale you have to deduct depreciation allowed or allowable from basis, so they will pay higher cap gains even though they never got the benefit of the higher depreciation.  Missed depreciation can be taken on Sch E all at once, so their income will be reduced in the year of sale. 

• Like 1