ATX Community

Concealed Social Security Numbers

Yardley CPA

Is anyone concealing the clients and dependents social security numbers on the printed copy of their forms?  I have a couple of new clients who brought me their last year returns and the copy reflects all *********  for their SSN's.  I understand the purpose of concealing the numbers, just wondering if anyone is concealing all the numbers.  I have not concealed any of the number on the file copies I give my clients.  

If a client asks for a copy for their bank, I send it to the CLIENT as masked.  If they request one with the numbers showing, I would send that to the client.  My software does print the last four digits of SSNs, bank accounts, EINs, etc., so I don't think anyone has requested a new copy with all digits showing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

Yes, I am doing that incase a return should ever get out of clients hands. I am wondering tho if bank wanted a copy of prior year return would they accept this since the #'s are masked out?

The 1040 is only a preliminary document when applying for a loan.  Returns are verified from the IRS transcript.  That is why form 4506-T is submitted with the loan application.

• Like 3