ATX Community

Client chooses penalty instead of free insurance

Janitor Bob

9 hours ago, Janitor Bob said:

Client's income was such that her required contribution was zero....Marketplace subsidy would have completely paid for her bronze plan.  She chose not to get the insurance.  Now paying $695 penalty.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Was the penalty paid from any refundable credit?

• Like 5

I have a client who is over 80 and has 100% private health insurance - refuses to sign up for Medicare. His son in law is a surgeon who told him at one point that he refuses to accept Medicare or Medicaid patients so he thinks all doctors do that. He had a knee replaced and the insurance company is who covered it all.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Janitor Bob said:

Client's income was such that her required contribution was zero....Marketplace subsidy would have completely paid for her bronze plan.  She chose not to get the insurance.  Now paying $695 penalty.

What the hell is wrong with people?

A few don't want the taxpayers providing insurance for them.  I think very few.

Many have been under a rock since 2010 and don't know how to apply or that they should.  I think in general, people are pretty helpless about being their own advocate.  And I don't have time or the desire to sign them up for insurance.  Paid or otherwise.  Plus we all have that free counselor side gig.

Some of them have tax preparers who are entering the unaffordable exemption on 8965 and getting away with it.  Or using DIY software and entering unaffordable and getting away with it.  It seems very logical.  Health insurance IS unaffordable now.  Not for SRP purposes, though.  The SRP cannot go away fast enough for me.  I am losing business because I am preparing returns correctly. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, RitaB said:

A few don't want the taxpayers providing insurance for them.  I think very few.

Many have been under a rock since 2010 and don't know how to apply or that they should.  I think in general, people are pretty helpless about being their own advocate.  And I don't have time or the desire to sign them up for insurance.  Paid or otherwise.  Plus we all have that free counselor side gig.

Some of them have tax preparers who are entering the unaffordable exemption on 8965 and getting away with it.  Or using DIY software and entering unaffordable and getting away with it.  It seems very logical.  Health insurance IS unaffordable now.  Not for SRP purposes, though.  The SRP cannot go away fast enough for me.  I am losing business because I am preparing returns correctly. 

So true!!  I've lost two already this week because I would not use the Affordability exemption (since SRP did not support it).  I also kinda understand their point....these particular clients were not actually offered a plan through the marketplace that was anywhere near what SRP uses in calculating affordability.

• Like 5