ATX Community

Education credits

Marie

Filling in education credits for two dependents - same family.  One gets AOC, the other lifetime

When checking the return, it errors saying the students address needs to be put in on the education input sheet.

But I can't override and can't find where I go to put it in.  The kids' address is the same as parents, they are listed

as dependents and are of the right age.  when isn't the address carrying forward to that screen?

no, school address is there.  the error specifically says the student's address, city, zip, etc

in that box it says:  Student's name             Joe Smith

Students SSN

111-22-3333

Check the address on 1040, maybe you have an error there.  I don't check for errors, I create efiles and that takes care of any errors.

If 1040 address is correct, I would take out the educational forms and see if you get an error.

You said that the dependents are of the right age, the only age requirement is, I would say, 8 years old and maybe 70 years of age to qualify for the credits.

"An 11-year-old California boy donned a cap and gown on Wednesday — to receive a college degree. Tanishq Abraham is the youngest person to graduate from American..."

I just had the same experience. It is not the ATX program... it is the dumb user (in my case) who assumed that by entering the zip code the program was going to enter both city and state. 

It has been only a few years that we have the convenience of enter only the zip code on Tax payer's address and the program correctly type the city and state. How easy we get used to convenience?