ATX Community

W-2 with 5 States how to efile?

unzuetay

Client received 3 W-2s. One had wages and two state taxes, the other two were blank with 2 and 1 state taxes. 

The software only allows for 4 states per w-2.

It also brings up a red error, if I try to fill out a blank w-2 with zeros and state withholding.

Any ideas thoughts would be helpful Thank you.

P.S. last resort would be to paper file?

I had a client with 21 state W-2s.  The way i got the federal to e-file was for a state (say Alabama) I posted the exact same amount in box 1 for federal wages as was reported under state wages.  Once I have every state done, I then created a W-2 with the remaining federal wages and claimed it was for a state with no income taxes (like Texas, etc).

The city portion was easier because I could add them to a state and there was only 5 city returns.

Once I made sure the total wages matched the total of all the W-2s it e-filed without a problem.

Good Luck,

Peggy Cobb

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peggy Cobb said:

I had thought of this also. To file the w-2 with wages reflecting state wages.

I was concerned that the w-2s wouldn't match up once the irs received it and delay processing.

There isn't a city portion reflected on the w-2s for me to  deal with thank goodness

There is a link at the bottom of the w-2 input screen to a knowledge base article on how to make this work.  I just went through this two days ago.  If my memory serves me correctly, the article suggested creating a second W-2 and putting federal wages at $1 on the second W-2 and reducing the first W-2 federal wages by the same $1. 

• Like 1