ATX Community

State Acks ?

Lee B

Longtime ATX user. The messages I am receiving from Drake about state acks are very unclear to me.

I have a number of returns where the fed acks have been received but I am very unsure as to what is going on with the state acks .

What is the easiest way to check the status of state acks ?

The state acks are usually the same as federal with "P" for pending and "A" for accepted.  Rejection messages may be brief, but the 2 I've received in prior years were clear enough to discern the source of the return's issue. 

I send you a PM with a pdf of a post from Drake's forum specific to OR state returns that may, or may not, be helpful.

ETA - The link to the KB that I provided in a subsequent post has all of the ack codes, if that may help you.

Edited by jklcpa
added notation as indicated in post

This may be covered in Judy's PM, but you can pull up state acks with a report. Any errors will have a number that you can look up.

Also, if you open a return and go to View mode, look at the state version of the 9325 (if there is no specific form, look for "state_EF" in the forms list, with "state" replaced with the two-letter USPS state abbreviation (MA, VA,  NM, NY, whatever).

Because I wasn't sure exactly what cbslee was asking about, I didn't cover that, Catherine. 

My PM wasn't about further researching of errors and codes for e-file transmissions. It was specifically about the state of OR returns and whether OR was accepting returns yet, as one poster on the Drake forum had asked. 

Merry, the main tech rep that answers on that forum, wrote that OR is accepting returns but the state legislature has not yet decided on whether it will conform to the federal Bipartisan Budget act passed on 2/9 or if it will choose to disconnect from the extender provisions. According to her post, the OR legislature is supposed to meet mid-March to make a decision on its handling of the extenders, and she said that OR e-files will include a note of instruction.  That note of instruction that Drake is including in OR e-files may be what cbslee was asking about, but I wasn't sure about that.

Posts subsequent to that stated that OR is sending messages that if returns are filed with discharge of qual. princ residence indebtedness, mortgage insurance premium deduction, or tuition and fees deduction, that OR will disallow those and correct the returns to current law, and those returns may require amendment later in the year depending on OR's decision on the extenders.

See why I didn't post all of that?  :rolleyes:  Plus, I didn't want to quote others from another tax forum on here that is unrelated to ATX, so I send cbslee a pdf printed version of those postings since he is a Drake user that would have access to its forum. 

• Like 1

cbslee, if your question is a more general one about the acks and error codes -

In addition to Catherine's instruction, another way to find the information again for any return is to use the EF menu and choose "Search EF database". From there you can find the acks, the ack code, and any error codes by searching for the return by name or EIN.  Clicking on the error code or message usually brings up more information or takes the user to the spot requiring the correction, iirc.  Also contained at the right in that EF search box is a button to click that will take you to Drake's online database that is part of the support site. Clicking that will bring up the log in screen, and from there you would have access.

Still not sure exactly what else you need, there is a KB that may be helpful to you. It's # 10783, if this link doesn't take you to it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Terry D said:

Another way is to right click on the client's name from the personal client manager and then click on search EF database. I find this a bit quicker to do.

Thank you, Terry,  I learned something new.  I haven't had a need for this yet, but that is much easier and quicker. 

Judy, Catherine & Terry,

Thanks for the tips. Between right clicking on the client's name in the client manager and the efile reports I will figure it out.

After 20 years of looking at the ATX  Efile  Manager and scanning the columns looking for exceptions my mind wasn't adapting very well <_<

• Like 1