ATX Community

Checking the "Complete" Box

Yardley CPA

Does anyone know the difference between checking the "complete box" on the eFile manager versus checking the complete box on the return manager?  After both the federal and state eFile are accepted, I check the complete box on the eFile tab.  That does not automatically check the box on the return manager for the corresponding return.  What is the difference between the two?

Checking the one on the return locks the return completed date, so if you ever have to reprint, the date will be right. I haven't tested whether you have to check the day you finish or not, but that's what we always do.

Haven't discovered any implication of checking the completed box on efile manager, but we do it anyway.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Checking the one on the return locks the return completed date, so if you ever have to reprint, the date will be right. I haven't tested whether you have to check the day you finish or not, but that's what we always do.

Haven't discovered any implication of checking the completed box on efile manager, but we do it anyway.

If you input the date on page 2 of 1040, the date is locked on all forms.  The complete box is not needed to lock the date.

Using the complete box in the e-file manager, allows me to sort by complete and incomplete when marking e-files to transmit.  

Using the complete box in the Return Manager, prevents any changes to the return, by putting up a verification box that you intend to make the changes, before it is closed.  It is a great safeguard when reviewing or seeing what certain changes may do.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, grandmabee said:

also marking the complete box on return manager also hides the complete return so you can see at a glance who is left to complete.

Only if you have that option set. I don't choose that option out of fear that one will be marked complete that is not done and it will slip through the cracks.

• Like 3