ATX Community

Extensions

TAXMAN

I filed my first extension on Jan 29 (my own).  I'll begin filing client extensions on everything that comes in on March 19 or after, no exceptions except for very simple returns that can be completed on the first pass. Many extended returns will still be completed by Apr 16, but at least I don't have to circle back or even give it any thought.  I like to makes Apr 16 just another day at the office.  

• Like 3

We drop all tax work and start filing extensions around April 7th.  Our deadline for paperwork is March 15th but almost no one gives us everything on the first pass so it's basically a way to stop people from complaining.  Once extensions are all filed, we turn back to returns and always file bundles of the extended returns by the deadline.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jack from Ohio said:

3/20.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

Even those people that believe filing an extension guarantees an audit....

Jack: You could tell that person who worries about an audit that you know a tax preparer who hasn't filed before Oct in over 30 years and has never been audited. 

• Haha 2

Over the weekend I filed three extensions for returns due 15 March, because they don't have everything.  I probably have all that I can handle right now, but I have been saying 15 March for personal returns.  The weekly Nor'easters have had clients rescheduling or delaying drop offs!  Some years I say 1 March, because so many are missing something when they drop off.  I already had one client go elsewhere, because she wanted to bring me everything at the end of March and get it done on the spot to file before her ex -- who probably filed way back in January, so why should I go out of my way?!  (Two new clients replaced her.)  And, I have some prior year returns, including 2014s which need to get done.  So, no promises after 15 March.

• Like 2

I don't give a date anymore. I did that once, and got hit with a mother-load on that very day. Ever since then, I just surprise them.

Anyone not in by April 1 will get an extension if they have more than a simple return. I'm already pretty deep in the hole, but I'll get them done. Started closing my office on Saturdays (always closed on Sunday) and that helps me immensely.

• Like 3

I will be filing 32 business extensions this week.  Our cutoff for personal returns is March 23rd.  Anything coming after that date is not necessarily guaranteed to be extended, but we tell then there is a better chance than not.  And the closer we get to the deadline, the more likely the extension will be done.  And I also tell them, "and oh, by the way, at 4:30 on April 13th, I will be locking the door on the office (from the outside) and will not unlock it again until the morning of the 19th."  (It may be the 18th but the client will not know that.)  We will prepare personal extensions on April 9th and 10th (and maybe 11th).

• Like 1

All of our entity returns and personal property returns are extended the first week of March. We extend all unfinished returns the first week of April, unless we are 100% certain they will file on time and/or are getting a refund.

With the way we customize our 4868, extensions go fairly quickly. I could repost if any of you missed it last year.

• Like 3