ATX Community

General Ledger Packages

Edsel

A large client is looking for a General Ledger software.  Should not be super-extensive, but should have a decent multi-state payroll module and a job cost module.  Preference would be for a package instead of cloud-based as for the near term we don't want to give up control to the cloud.

Are there recommendations?  No QuickBooks, please.

Job Cost Module sounds like it might be construction accounting?   Any chance that has to do with Certified Payroll as well?

If so, check out Computer Ease.   Pretty simple to use once it is set up.   Not the cheapest.   Not the most expensive.   I have used in the past and I like it, but I was using it on a 25MM construction company.   If revenue is above 5MM and construction company, this would be a good choice.

Tom
Modesto, CA

If your client is not in construction, but you want  robust well developed  software with job costing and many other add on modules depending on your needs take a good look a CYMA.  I have reviewed the program several times in the past and was impressed, but it was way more than I need.

It's targeted at mid sized companies with over 50 employees.

Thanks to all for suggestions.  Resident bookkeeper is proficient only with coding invoices and doing basic banking.

I'll answer questions about my resistance to QB - too user-friendly to non-accounting types.  Like giving a 5-year old kid a loaded gun.  The owner doesn't like them either, after having them mess up her multi-state payroll for 2 years.  Was not the owner's fault either.

One of the problems QB gives no resistance - keypuncher can doing anything they want.  We all have problems with commingling personal and business expenses (and this can happen with any software, and the problem is universal for all of us who have clients).  But when they bought an entertainment set for $1900 out of business funds and entitled the account "TV" its time to back off.

• Like 1

I agree with you, Edsel, about QB.  But it seems there is only one resident 'bookkeeper' who is not that knowledgeable about accounting.  All the more reason to keep it simple.  Outsource the payroll, let the bookkeeper do only basic entry.  And you come in to make the necessary adjustments, backing out personal, etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Edsel said:

Thanks to all for suggestions.  Resident bookkeeper is proficient only with coding invoices and doing basic banking.

I'll answer questions about my resistance to QB - too user-friendly to non-accounting types.  Like giving a 5-year old kid a loaded gun.  The owner doesn't like them either, after having them mess up her multi-state payroll for 2 years.  Was not the owner's fault either.

One of the problems QB gives no resistance - keypuncher can doing anything they want.  We all have problems with commingling personal and business expenses (and this can happen with any software, and the problem is universal for all of us who have clients).  But when they bought an entertainment set for $1900 out of business funds and entitled the account "TV" its time to back off.

I sometimes get QB users say, “oh accounting is so easy.....”.  So I feel your pain.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Medlin Software said:

I have been subpoenaed by prosecutors to see if I had any access, knowledge, or any other information about what our customers did or did not do.  Usually just a statement made via recorded phone call gets me out of the loop.  No defense counsel has asked for my "help", so far...

It was his own return he was screwing up.  It was either intentional or he's never mind.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Have any of you been exposed to Deltek Vision?   I think Deltek is most known for its Government Contracting Accounting product, Crosspoint, but they also have Vision, which is supposed to be tailored to Engineers and Architects.

I have been approached by an Engineering firm to look at possible replacement software and I ran across Deltek Vision doing google searches.  

If any of you have any input on that product, I would be appreciative.   I am not having any luck finding out how much it costs, so that would be a very good thing to know as well.

Maybe @Edsel would find it interesting as well.   Not sure what industry his client is in, but Vision is supposed to be a robust job costing platform.

Thanks

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1