ATX Community

Tell son to file extension?

TaxCPANY

Father just wrote that, after having claimed (college student) son as dependent on return filed last month, son now "will do his own . . . he likes to take responsibility."  Hooray,  ;-) . . .
But, I have NO time to amend returns before 17th.  Should son be advised to file extension, or would late-filing penalty be averted merely by reference to the amended return down the road, or what else?

I don't think you have any responsibility at all to the son at this point.  With the exception of possibly reminding him that he was taken as a dependent on his parents return.  He can then take responsibility to find out what that means.  Hand back the son's information and then allow him to take care of his own return filing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TaxCPANY said:

Father just wrote that, after having claimed (college student) son as dependent on return filed last month, son now "will do his own . . . he likes to take responsibility."  Hooray,  ;-) . . .
But, I have NO time to amend returns before 17th.  Should son be advised to file extension, or would late-filing penalty be averted merely by reference to the amended return down the road, or what else?

I am taking this to mean the parents are deciding not to claim the kid and asking you to amend their return to remove him as a dependent.  If so, I would explain to them that you can't just decide, his dependency belongs on one return or the other and explain the law.  I would file the kid's extension request if he needs one, free gratis, because I'm all about customer service,  even though I'm also all about doing things the right way, which is sometimes annoying to clients and bad for business, but it's hard to argue with me. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RitaB said:

I am taking this to mean the parents are deciding not to claim the kid and asking you to amend their return to remove him as a dependent.  If so, I would explain to them that you can't just decide, his dependency belongs on one return or the other and explain the law.  I would file the kid's extension request if he needs one, free gratis, because I'm all about customer service,  even though I'm also all about doing things the right way, which is sometimes annoying to clients and bad for business, but it's hard to argue with me. 

Exemption may be the correct word.  Y'all know what I'm getting at.  Did kid provide over half his own support or not? 

• Like 2

Oh man I crashed last night and still was in the office until 10.

Two nights in a row, I've had to brake hard for deer on the last mile of my commute home. I can usually see their eyes reflecting my headlights while I'm still a good distance away, but that did not happen on either night. They were younger deer and maybe their eyes aren't as reflective?

TWO WEEKS!!

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Two nights in a row, I've had to brake hard for deer on the last mile of my commute home. I can usually see their eyes reflecting my headlights while I'm still a good distance away, but that did not happen on either night. They were younger deer and maybe their eyes aren't as reflective?

TWO WEEKS!!

Right there is why I do not like to drive after dark in these parts.  I leave the office in time to be home before it gets dark and then work in my office at home until I am through for the day!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Oh man I crashed last night and still was in the office until 10.

TWO WEEKS!!

Maybe the older eyes, in this case, were the issue???  :D

Don't blame the "younger deer."

• Haha 6
  • Angry 1

52 minutes ago, JohnH said:

I've never understood why they put those "Deer Crossing" signs along the road where they do.  Too many deer get hit there. They should move the signs to a safer place.

In our area, the deer cross wherever they want  to and just ignore the signs.  I don't think they understand the pictogram.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I killed a deer one day, somewhere else.  During the day.

After my car was fixed, and it was tax season, I was driving home.  Understand, at that time, I had to drive for about 15 minutes on a road that had farm fields on one side, and state park on the other.  The deer used the road to relax...

So there was this 6-7 point buck in the road.  I could see him.  I saw him in enough time to slow to walking speed, and waited or him to move....   He didn't.  I was in "his road" and he wanted to defend his friend that I had killed about 4 months before.  I moved over to the side of the road to pass him.  He walked right up to my  car and give me a chest bump!  "Stay off MY ROAD and LEAVE my friends ALONE!"

Left a smell dent on my right front fender.

Rich

• Like 6

Yes - Great Story Rich!  Wild life is very interesting to watch.

As to see the reflection of the deer's eyes in your headlights?  On my journey home last evening, five deer, in single file format with a second or two between them, jumped off the right hand bank onto the roadway and continued their journey across the road right to left and off into the woods on the left.  Not one of those deer looked at me and if I would have been driving in the dark and looking for the reflection of their eyes, this story could have a very different ending.

The evening before last, on our trip home, we observed a herd of 16 deer grazing in a field and they were not twenty yards from the road.  I love living in rural America!

• Like 4

You're right, Rita & Yardley -- and THANKS.  It's in the name of "customer service" that I've been wondering how to mitigate these taxpayers' sudden whim; but ultimately I'd rather have them know me for my technical skill than cuddlesomeness.
P.S.  Apology for this late response:  I don't seem to have received any Notifications when my post was commented upon, only dropped in today with a different question!

• Like 2