ATX Community

Taking More Time to Prep This Year?

Yardley CPA

Not looking to jinx ATX, it's been working flawlessly this year.  Nice to have a program that you're used to and functions well.  With that said, I've noted that it's taking me longer to complete a return this year.  I'm sorting through more information, have more missing documents and more questions from clients.  Maybe it's related to all the news about the new tax law or maybe it's just because.  Whatever the reason, I have noted a time increase.  

For those clients I deal with in person, I have told them personally.  For those who receive my invoice as part of their packet of information, I will include a letter.  I plan on raising my fees for 2018 25% to 50% across the board.   I'm providing notice to my clients so there are no surprises.  There are many reasons for my decisions, with that said, I have several new clients this year who have brought me their previous returns.  They easily paid two to three times more than what I would have charged.  I always knew I was on the low side, I never thought it was that significant.  Shame on me, I guess.

• Like 9

You're better off without that one for sure.  Now that they heard someone will do it cheaper, they would probably pester you about it going forward if they stuck with you.  May as well use that free time to replace them with a profitable client.

• Like 5

I must say that my "one pass" rule is working well again this year.  On virtually everything I'm doing, I make one pass entering the data.  If there's something missing or I need to ask for more info, I just prepare an extension.  (There are a few common-sense exceptions of course, but that's the basic process)  Been doing that since the first of February.  And of course everything coming in during the past few weeks automatically gets an extension.   I'll get back to many of them, and that's fine. But if not, don't bother me - they will hear from me sometime after the 17th (or maybe after the 30th, depending upon how quickly I get the payroll reports out).

• Like 7

I find that it is the same 25-30 clients that drag it out for me every year.  Since it's only 10% of my clientele I do charge a generous bonus for my work hoping they will leave, but they come back every year, waiting on a few right now..   There's about 5 in the rack now that have been there over a month, I consider that a failure on my part.

• Like 3

This year we've been doing all our "final checks" as we finish the first pass.  Careful notes on what is missing - then when those arrive, plug 'em in and ship 'em.  (With attention to the few items that can wreak havoc with all the forms already "done" of course.)  That said, YES it's taking longer.  Lots of people seem to think the new tax law was for 2017.  Lots of questions about "Why is my refund lower? -Everything's the same!" when income is up $15K and withheld tax is down $5K.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Richcpaman said:

Not to jinx ATX, but it has worked well this year.

I use it via GoToMyPC, and it doesn't crash that way. 

Hey Rich...I hear you on the stability this year.   I have been with this software a long time, and I am finally getting comfortable with it being reliable.  They may have finally recovered from the 2012 launch disaster.   The next step is to make it more efficient for me to work with.   I need to spend some time learning to set the defaults and preferences to make it work better for me.   It seems that my clientele is getting more complicated every year, and I am spending more time on the returns, so any clicks I can remove from the process is going to free up my time.

I think I am going to get new computers this year.   Both the desktop in the office and the laptop I take to our seasonal office.    I have been running 2 stand alone installs of ATX and just keeping them in sync.   It is getting harder to do.   How much is GoToMyPC and do you think it is worth it?

Thanks

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

I think I am going to get new computers this year.   Both the desktop in the office and the laptop I take to our seasonal office.    I have been running 2 stand alone installs of ATX and just keeping them in sync.   It is getting harder to do.   How much is GoToMyPC and do you think it is worth it?

Thanks

Tom
Modesto, CA

Tom:

I use GoToMyPC to login the desktop in the office when I am at my satellite office.  I am always running it from the same place, so no reason to sync it.  I take my laptop from location A to Location B.  I have a staffer at location B that logs into my server via GoToMyPC, and thee other computers that talk to the server in location A.  I have had 5 or 6 people posting to ATX at one time.  Still stable. 

Rich

• Like 2

Having several for the 8283 data is great.  I start most returns using one to enter the usual answers for foreign accounts, another for "yes" to healthcare coverage, and then a couple of single-stroke macros for special situations. One that is useful right now will prefill Fed & State extensions, then pause and wait for me to input the amount the client is paying.  After you write a few, it becomes almost second nature, doesn't it?  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Randall said:

The PTPs with K-1s inside brokerage accounts are a real pain.  I started stating an additional charge on my invoice for them.  One client with 6.  I charged an additional $100.  And when they sell the units.  Ugh!

When I see those K1s I tell my clients that each K1 is $50 per year and $100 when any units are sold. Partial redemptions are the worst because they're easy to miss if you're in a hurry.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

When I see those K1s I tell my clients that each K1 is $50 per year and $100 when any units are sold. Partial redemptions are the worst because they're easy to miss if you're in a hurry.

Yes, selling is a real pain.  I was going to start thinking $25 per K1.

• Like 1